Female Gamers

Do you think females make up 46% of the gaming population?

• Yes

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 50 67.6%

• Total voters

PabloTeK

At the I Series of gargantuan LAN's there was an all girl team and a few freelance women playing too, it's just they don't show their faces too often.

Vizy

Those are some hot gamer girls on the techzine....

Anyways, i wouldn't of thought of girl gamers as the ones with their little headsets and the anger in their eyes while playing left 4 dead. I could see them playing some wii family friendly games, some pokemon, or even racing games.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
46% seems like a high figure, but I think it's possible. Even my wife wants a Wii because she'd like to get into gaming.

bomberboysk

Hmm, im not sure if 46% is right,although they dont measure gaming time, would be more accurate if they went by "How many hours spent gaming" and then used those results...

atentora

I would have to say yes. Most females I know play games of some sort. My girlfriend loves Mario and games like it. The rest seem to like RPGs and such.

I do have to agree with bomberboysk, cause the gamer girls I know don't play as much as I do or other males that I know

Calibretto

VIP Member
It's very much possible, but I don't believe it just yet. I would guess a majority of girls play the Wii like Mike mentioned. Heck, even my girlfriend got a Wii for Christmas and she LOVES it.

I also know a few gals that play WoW...

Twist86

If its for PC only...then no that number is to high I would say 30% are female at this point or so.
Now Wii was made with a women in mind...they have all the "cute games" that they like...my girlfriend is a perfect example for the Wii.
So 46% I could buy if it was based off that if they counted those numbers with the PC crowd due to how many Wii have been sold.

A guild I use to be on for WoW had quite a few female players but due to all the harassment they only raided/partied with guild members to avoid the "never gonna get laid" crowed.

Last edited:

ducis

I really dont think theres a good reason why that can't be true I thinking the vast majority of (young)people game in one way or another and chicks represent 50 percent of the population.

salman

I don't know any girl that games online. Infact I don't know many girls hmmm... =P

The games they play: I don't wanna stereo type but i honestly reckon females would be more into the casual gaming scene nintendo wii, DS etc

HumanMage

I would think that statistic is correct for the "broad" spectrum of gaming. Girls play a lot of console games and things like that because they are easier to pick up and play than say a computer game would be. However, that's not saying that women don't play computer games. While in my off and on tenures of WoW I've met many women who played, some lived just a few blocks away from me.

Mitch?

banned
like bomberboy said, i think they should measure hours logged - not just a yes no. a girl may play for a few minutes here and there, or hit up the internet flash games a bit, but i doubt many have tackled Halo on legendary :p
I think it's possible though, in the US it's much more male-dominated, but with the advent of the Wii i know alot of girls that play .

laznz1

Hmm, im not sure if 46% is right,although they dont measure gaming time, would be more accurate if they went by "How many hours spent gaming" and then used those results...

ill argree with that lol mind you i know a few hard core female gamers

4W4K3

VIP Member
I say no.

When I was in middle school and high school I was big into online gaming. Mostly PC, but I did some XBOX online as well later on. Out of all the girls I knew, few played games. Out of those few, none played online that I knew of.

My wife was into computer games when she was young(er) as well. I don't think she has EVER played online against another person though. I've never seen her do it. It's hard enough to get her to play head to head with me on the PS2 lol.

I just don't see the 46% figure. If that were true, I would have thought a lot more girls would be talking about new games coming out, or would have come to our LAN parties in high school. Or shown a remote interest in any kind of console, etc.

Now all the girls I know are in their early to mid 20's, and I can't think of any that play video games. Maybe girls like to keep it secret? But I don't see the fun in that. Half of the excitement for me when I was in school was going to lunch and talking with all my friends about a new game, or a new console.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Most of the girls that I know have played some sort of video game of some sort. And this is becoming a more consistent trend than in the past. In fact, out of everyone at work, the women were the most jealous of me that I got a DS, most of the guys were just like, eh, whatever... So while many women don't play the "mainstream" games that get all the hype necessarily, they are definitely playing something. Whether it's BrainAge on the DS, or RockBand, WiiFit, WiiBowling or any other various number of more accessible games, the trend is definitely solidifying in with the women gamers. I'm pretty sure that they'll never play stuff like Mass Effect or Crysis, and probably in a lower proportion of hours, but they're out there.

Think of it this way, out of the physical population, the 46 percent figure seems about right; out of the hours of gameplay logged around the world, I would say that men still log the significant majority, somewhere around 70 to 80 percent.