Few Upgrade Questions.

Justin

VIP Member
So, I've switched my initial plan of upgrading my mobo and cpu first to, upgrading my psu and gpu first. I'll be getting a 8800GT 512mb and a 600w PSU. Basically, I have half the amount of cash I need for my upgrade.

Here are my questions:

1. I have a PCI-E motherboard. Will the 8800GT being a PCI-E 2.0 gpu work on my motherboard?

2. If yes, what are some effects considering that my motherboard is older than the gpu?

3. I'm aware that my 3200+ will bottleneck the 8800GT. In what sense will it bottleneck?

4. Is my 3200+ like a P4 3.0ghz? If not, where does it compare too?

5. Is a 600w PSU overkill?

Thanks guys! I hope to get the GPU in about two weeks when I've got all my financial worries set aside.

StrangleHold

Staff member
1. Not unless you have one of the first PCIe boards with PCIe 1.0, but there was just a few and I think most were fixed with a bios update.
2.With present cards none, they dont even use up the bandwidth of PCIe 1.0, unless your going to run like a 3870 X2 which might be close.
3. In the sence that your GPU will be faster then your CPU. Its more detailed then that though.
4. The PR ratings on AMD started out as AMDs way of showing what the original non XP Athlon would have to be running at to equal it. It just happen to mach up with a P4 so AMD just went with it.
5. Yes it probable will, but brand quality matters alot.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i think your processor will bottleneck it quite alot tbh its only the single core one right?,i would get a new processor and motherboard first and then use your old gfx card until you can afford a 8800GT,you never know by the time youve saved up for that 8800GT they might have dropped the 8800GTs prices with these new cards thats been comming out lately.

im not dissapointed that i got my card though,i love it and it will be able to blast through games for some time to come yet.

you could get the following

Intel Pentium E2160 Allendale (Overclock it!!!!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116036

MSI P6NGM-L LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce7050
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130130

dont know a site for your country though :cool:

Last edited:

Calibretto

VIP Member
Just to answer a couple of your questions:

1. PCI-E x16 works with PCI-E 2.0

4. I would think your 3200+ would equal a Celeron, not a P4 3.0GHz but I could be wrong.

5. I think your PSU will be fine. I have an Ultra 500W and it hasn't been a problem with my budget PC.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
4. I would think your 3200+ would equal a Celeron, not a P4 3.0GHz but I could be wrong.

nah it must be better than a Celeron, i think it would be just a tad slower than a P4.

but i could be wrong also,jnskyliner34 still you would need to upgrade that processor if you plan on a 8800GT.

the 3200+ would be slow for it.

Justin

VIP Member
so... other way round i guess, cpu and mobo first. RAM is fine right? I'm just running XP.

thanks Shane, but i'll continue my original plan, an AMD rig. X2 5400+.

Justin

VIP Member
nevermind scrap that. i won't be overclocking so is the e2160 good as it is?

how does an e4500 2.2ghz and asus p5kpl-vm g31 sound to you guys?

or would the x2 5200+ 2.4 ghz and asus m2n be better?

sorry, this is around my budget. the prices over here are just whacked!
i have a .pdf file of prices of the store i'm buying from if anyone wants to see it.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
the e2610 is only 1.8Ghz stock and i think it would still be very good but they can be overclocked to 3Ghz,downside is it only has 1mb l2 cache,i would go for the e4500 2.2ghz if you can,why wont you overclock?

get more free performance out of your processor.

Justin

VIP Member
the e2610 is only 1.8Ghz stock and i think it would still be very good but they can be overclocked to 3Ghz,downside is it only has 1mb l2 cache,i would go for the e4500 2.2ghz if you can,why wont you overclock?

get more free performance out of your processor.

n00b. :eek:

from the intel build vs the amd build, which one has better performance?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
dude no its so easy,I had never oc a processor before either.

my C2D was at 1.86 stock and even though its quite fast as it is and i was happy with it danny (Kornowski) convinced me that i should OC and im so glad i did so many thanks to him.

all you have to do is up the FSB and maybe adjust some memory settings but i got all my help from this place :)

i think the intel build from those two you listed would be better.

my friend has a x2 5400 at 2.9Ghz,8800GT and 4gb of ram,Now i have a e6300 at 2.7Ghz,8800GT and 3gb of slower ram and mine beats his in 3d marks and other benchmarks we did.

its realy up to you but i suggest the intel build.

Justin

VIP Member
okay. intel build it is.

if ever i decide to overclock, would i need an aftermarket cpu cooler? i know it would be better to have one. it's just like i said, financial worries. and i'm really starting to hate my computer right now.

is the e4500 is a good cpu to overclock also?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Haha! You made a good decision, Shane ;)

Dude, it depends how much more expensive an Intel build over an ATI build is, to be honest, if it was a lot, I'd go with AMD.

Justin

VIP Member
those two builds i posted are about the same price.

sorry if i'm being a pain in the ass. i just want a better comp right now. i'm starting to hate my current setup.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
if theyre the same price...i would go intel ;)

im not saying AMD are no good,Im just thinking the intel will perform better for what you pay.

Justin

VIP Member
alright cool. thanks again guys.

now all i need is more cash for a gpu... damn 3rd world country... all i want to play is kane and lynch!

Justin

VIP Member
i don't know why but, while i was trying to fall asleep last night, my mind was telling me to go for the amd build. i don't know if i'm a fanboy as this is my very first computer so i'm not considering that. lol. i think it's just intel is really more expensive here. there's no downside about the 5200+ 2.4ghz? i may even get a 5800+ 2.8ghz if i can afford it.

besides, i'm not a hardcore gamer that need everything MAXED! medium and high is fine for with decent framerates.

Justin

VIP Member
i have a question...

lets say i get the amd 5200+ and a new mobo and still keep my 7300gs. would i get better fps in games maintaining my current graphic settings?