Findng freeware for famous software

textbook

A friend said that gimp was a free version of photoshop. If i am advised to get a pay software, how do I find the freeware version? Go into wikipedia and then google the wiki definition?

jamesd1981

just type freeware sites into your search engine, then browse them they have programs in categories like anti virus, photo video editing etc

Aastii

VIP Member
A friend said that gimp was a free version of photoshop. If i am advised to get a pay software, how do I find the freeware version? Go into wikipedia and then google the wiki definition?

Type in "free <type of program>" into google.

For instance, "free office program". The first result is open office, which is a free office suite (like microsoft office), and the best alternative

Nanobyte

"Photoshop" has become a generic term for any similar graphic editor, in a similar way that we talk about googling. When someone says an image has been "photoshopped" it does not necessarily mean that Photoshop was used, only that it has been edited. GIMP has nothing to do with Photoshop other than it's a graphic editor and happens to be free.

I came across a site that had many well-known programs at a fraction of the price but online download only, no support. I didn't note the URL. It seemed legit but I was very dubious. At best, you would have no recourse if the software did not work.

ModernMind

You can also visit sites like softpedia and of course check freeware lists in good forums such as this one.

There is not only gimp for photoshop but other free programs too, I know there is one photoshop-clone that you can use from your browser even!