Firewalls

matt12685848

I am currently using trend micro pccillin for my firewall and i dont like it, it uses 104 mb of my ram. Anyone know of a good firewall that uses little resources? How good is the default windows firewall?

mmaki

The default firewall in WindowsXP is better than nothing. More importantly, how do you connect to the Internet? Dial up or DSL/Cable modem? That will help determine the options you have.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
hmm

One thing to SPF:

Important Notice: Effective November 30th, 2005 all Sygate consumer firewall products will be discontinued. For technical assistance with these products, please email [email protected]. In addition, the consumer firewall support forum will be available for 60 days per our standard support policy. Note: this end of life only applies to the consumer firewall products and does not affect Sygate's Enterprise firewall and endpoint compliance products, which are still be updated and supported. Thank you and we look forward to assisting you with the wonderful line of Symantec products. Please click here for Symantec Support.

If your Sygate Personal Firewall product is due for renewal, please visit Symantec's online store for special upgrade pricing on Norton products.
If you did not previously own a Sygate Personal Firewall product, please click here to visit Symantec's online store.

JAN :D

Last edited:

matt12685848

One thing i just noticed about my firewall, earlier i posted a thread of my ram bieng hogged up by windows and in that thread i realized how much ram my firewall was using. What i just noticed now is that after playing BF2 tmproxy went from using 104 mb ram to 3500 kb. Why isn't it just at 3500 kb at startup?

timothyb89

Zone Alarm is good...
I use it on 2 of my computers. a comparison of Zone Alarm I found a wihle back .

It's a PDF file that can be found at http://www.grc.com/files/grcdos.pdf .
I found it to be rather intresting. Sticking to the topic, on pg. 26 of the PDF file, there is a compairson (sp?) between Zone Alarm (free) and BlackICE Defender ($39.95) and the results are surprizing.

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Ah, the Windows XP firewall. The speed-bump to the internet :). I prefer BlackICE. Nothing gets past that sucker. It gets extra points for the reference, too.

Last edited: