first time building computer

synister

Hi... This is my first time buying all the parts and assembling my own computer and I'm having a pretty tough time knowning if all parts are compatible with eachother :confused:. I would really appreciate it if I got a little help from you veterans, check it out.

So far I put together a list of item's that I'd like to buy, their as follows:

LITE-ON LightScribe Black 20X DVD±R Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write Black IDE Model LH-20A1H-186 - Retail - $35.99

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail - $149.99 with a $60 mail in rebate

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640AS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $194.99

XFX PVT80FSHE9 GeForce 8800GTX Extreme 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - $529.99 with a $40 mail in rebate

Rosewill RX850-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 850W Power Supply 100 - 240 V TUV, FCC, UL, CE, ROHS - Retail - $119.99

Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail - $39.99

iCEMAT 10066 3.5mm/ USB Connector Circumaural Black Siberia Headset - $65.99

ABIT IX38 Quad GT LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $229.99 (UPDATED)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail - $279.99 (UPDATED)

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM - $111.49 (EDITED)

ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail - $59.99 (UPDATED)

Dynatron DH1205SO-C 3.5" LED HDD Cooler - Retail - $2.99

A-DATA 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1B16K - Retail - $104.99 minus $35 combo deal (ADDED)

I also am going to order:

Icemat Black 2nd Edition - $39.95

and

2x Everglide Mouse Bungee's - $9.99/each (one for mouse and one for microphone)

I already have a monitor and keyboard that I really like... both came with my old gateway computer.

Everything that I'm buying comes to a grand total of $1951.30. That is basicly my budget... (a little over)

Thanks for reviewing what I've put together... If you have any advice that could help me with my decisions please let me know!! I'm not too sure if everything is compatible, so if you find a flaw in my set-up, please let me know!! Thanks for taking your time to help me out, I really appreciate it. :D

Last edited:

lucky7

get a Q6600 instead and get a Zalman 9700 instead of 9500. Also u probably want a nicer motherboard so look into some gigabites. You don't need 850 watts either. Get something around 600 or 700 watts.

Kesava

yeah look into getting a gigabyte P35 or X38 motherboard.

and the PSU is a little excessive. the 8800GTX requires a minimum 450 watt.

ride3k

get a Q6600 instead and get a Zalman 9700 instead of 9500. Also u probably want a nicer motherboard so look into some gigabites. You don't need 850 watts either. Get something around 600 or 700 watts.

why should he get a q6600 instead?

quadcore != better unless you actually do serious video editing/encoding and multitask

plus its 100 bucks more expensive

Kesava

why should he get a q6600 instead?

quadcore != better unless you actually do serious video editing/encoding and multitask

plus its 100 bucks more expensive

sorry what?

did you mean to put something else in where quadcore is written? such as dual core or core 2 duo?

jimkonow

ok, ill be the first one to say it....why the modem?

quadcore is future-proof....at least for the next year and a half :p

Kesava

yeah as long as its within budget the quad is alright. even though its not able to perform at its best at the moment thats no reason to not get it. it still performs extremely well

synister

i have the 850W power supply becuase I'm getting a really good deal on it... $80 off... if it affects the computer negatively I could always downgrade

chupacabra

You don't need the zoom tele modem, mother board has integrated so remove that, drop the gtx and get a gt unless you can afford the extra $ for a msi 8800 ultra, other than that looks fine.

Edit: if you plan to use the 4gb of ram get vista premium 64bits because xp pro can't handle more than 3/3.5 gb of ram and xp pro 64 bits sucks

ride3k

sorry what?

did you mean to put something else in where quadcore is written? such as dual core or core 2 duo?

a c2d is just as future proof and if you are going to be overclocking it can post higher stable numbers due to only having to have two stable cores instead of 4.

if you want to invest in a ffuture proof quadcore the new 45nm quadcores or at least a quadcore with a 1333mhz FSB is what you want to look at. the 100 dollar price difference is not justified unless he needs all four threads

Kesava

lol no i ment the word quad core. i think you ment to write something else in there. i wasnt asking you to justify it lol

daisymtc

I personally will go for 8800GT instead of 8800GTX. The improvement in performance don't worth $200 IMO.

synister

what would be the best videocard for that setup -- saving money would be a plus, and I could always get it upgraded to dual video cards later if i need it

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I'd get a SATA burner, I just hate the ribbon IDE cables!

Yes, IDE/PATA cables can get in the way, but as another CF member has posted a thread about, cut the wires up and bundle them. Increased air flow, and cool, and you save a few bucks.