Fisheye Lens... yay or nay

Laquer Head

I have been contemplating adding the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye Lens to my kit and I'm on the fence about it.

It's not a money issue but rather my indecisive nature fighting with my desire to branch out into a completely different style of photography.

So, I'm just looking for opinions--not on the lens itself--I already have used it several times, I know its a great piece...but rather on what people think of fisheye work and if its worth starting some extensive work with it.

Canon EF 8-15mm review

Thanks.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Well it is an L series lens, so you know the resale will be good.
If money isn't an issue I would say pick one up used, then give it a good test run. If you don't end up liking it then resell it for around the same price.

Sounds like a style you're interested so no harm in giving it a shot.

mx344

If you've got the money why not?
I've seen some guys do great shots with them for portraits and such.

As far as lenses go, it would be the last lens I would buy, cause it is probably the lens I would use the least.

Koffer

Until it's not the Kit lens.. I'd recommend it :p
But if you're doing some kind of extreme sports shots, then fish-eye objective would be the best buy for you.

trewyn15

I like some fisheye, i have taken some with my gopro and they turn out pretty cool looking, i know the gopro is only like 5mp but still..

duke.jpg

395532_10150516116488551_651518550_8988777_1509664931_n.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
Fisheyes are nay for me as well, I prefer ultra-wide angle lenses without the fisheye effect. Fisheye lenses have much fewer real uses.

Geoff

VIP Member
go fisheye if you do lots of sport photography
Care to explain how a fisheye would help with sports? Typically for any outdoor sports you need a lens that will reach at least 200mm, preferably 300-400mm. Even indoor sports you need 100-200mm at a minimum. I fail to see how an 8mm fisheye would be useful for sports.

Justin

VIP Member
I see people use fisheye in extreme sports like BMX, Inline, Skateboarding, etc etc... where they shoot wide from a low angle. But for that alone isn't enough to justify purchasing one where a regular UWA lens would suffice.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
I see people use fisheye in extreme sports like BMX, Inline, Skateboarding, etc etc... where they shoot wide from a low angle. But for that alone isn't enough to justify purchasing one where a regular UWA lens would suffice.
I wasn't thinking about those, you are correct. At those types of events fisheye lenses create unique photos that most people can't capture. I was thinking sports as in baseball, basketball, soccer, football, swimming, track, etc - which you would have very little to no use for a fisheye.

You'll run out of uses for it eventually. Just get a regular WA lens..
My thoughts exactly.

salvage-this

The ony time that I have seen a fisheye work in sports are in the extreme sports.
brashsittingbournefuf.jpg

I would probably get one but This is what I would be mainly taking photos of. I'm not really sure what else would look good with one. I would think that most other photos would loot too distorted.

Looks like I got beat by a few posts :p

Perkomate

fisheye for sport isn't for the zoom or anything like that. if you take photos of close-up things like skiing, snowboarding, skating or anything like that having a fisheye is awesome.

Geoff

VIP Member
fisheye for sport isn't for the zoom or anything like that. if you take photos of close-up things like skiing, snowboarding, skating or anything like that having a fisheye is awesome.
Yeah, the extreme sports. When I hear sports I tend to think of the traditional sports like baseball, soccer, football, basketball, etc.

Perkomate

Yeah, the extreme sports. When I hear sports I tend to think of the traditional sports like baseball, soccer, football, basketball, etc.

it would look a little wierd shooting with a fisheye at a baseball game from the top of the stadium