Floppy Drive noise

hdansjr

When i run scandisk the floppy drive starts grinding like it's trying to read a disk. The light on the floppy drive stays on and the noise continues throughout the scandisk. This is only when i run scandisk on the C drive. when i stick a disk in the drive, it just makes the same noise. what could be causing this? I dont' use the drive, so if i just unplug the drive from the power source and the motherboard what else do i need to do? I'm going to just unplug it if noone has a simple answer on why the drive starts up in scandisk mode.

starcab

Are you sure you choose to scandisk only C: drive?If you don't need the floppy,just unplug the power connector from it and forget about it.

hdansjr

so, i can just unplug the powersupply and not worry about unplugging it from the motherboard? A friend was saying I needed to go into the BIOS and do some things, which i have no idea about. But if i can unplug it and forget it, then that's probably what i'll do. And yeah, i just scandisked the C drive.

Angel.of.Death

so, i can just unplug the powersupply and not worry about unplugging it from the motherboard? A friend was saying I needed to go into the BIOS and do some things, which i have no idea about. But if i can unplug it and forget it, then that's probably what i'll do. And yeah, i just scandisked the C drive.

Yes, you can do that. The next time you use floppies, youll see pigs flying.

PC eye

banned
If you typed in "scandisk /all" that will see all paritions and drives scanned. To disable the floppy without even opening the case and unplugging "anything" you would go into the bios setup and simply disable the floppy controller and search for floppy at post settings.

hdansjr

I have no problem in opening the case up and unplugging it, i just have never messed with the BIOS and i'm not sure what to be looking for once I get in there. I'll give it a shot now though.

hdansjr

OK, so i went into the BIOS and there is no menu for me to go to, to disable the floppy drive. The ONLY place in the BIOS that i found anything about the Floppy controler was under the boot section, and it was the 2nd option under the boot section. I disabled it, and saved the changed and restarted, but the icon was still there under MY Computer and I stuck a disk in and it was able to read it. So i went back in and re-enabled it, since it didn't work. Other than that place, there was no place for me to disable it. Could I just disable it under Device manager, and then unplug ir from the power source and the motherboard?

PC eye

banned
From the description there you simply disabled the floppy search not the floppy controller. That controls whether the floppy drive will searched for a boot disk when first starting the system. The setting there simply turns off the search of the drive at post time while still allowing any disk to be read while in Windows. Different boards will also have the option to disable the floppy controller meaning that the drive will not operate when searched or when you go to read a disk.

Refer to the board's user manual to see what section that setting is found in if that model has that setting. Some boards are without that setting. That's when you would have disconnect the power plug along with removing the floppy cable entirely.

hdansjr

ok, i checked the handbook that came with my computer and there is no place in the manual that states how or where to disable the floppy. So i can just unplug them from the power and from the motherboard and i'll be fine? i just get the feeling that just unplugging them will not be the best....but what do I know?

PC eye

banned
There's is always a trip into the bios itself to disable floppy search while you may or may not find an option to disable the floppy controller. If you decide to unplug the drive unplug the ide cable at both ends not just the drive end and remove that totally. If your drive is on the way out the noise could be a sign that a replacement will be needed anyways.

With a cd writer you can prepare different bootable cds in case you need to boot the system with something other then the hard drive. Often the floppy drive is the most common for boot disks for boot loaders like Grub and Lilo for Linux distros or msdos disks with fdisk and other drive partitioning and recovery tools. Which version of Windows are you running 98 or ME?

hdansjr

I checked my motherboard manual, it was a board made specifically for Sony VAIOs and I cannot go into it and disable anything, from onboard video and sound to the floppy controler, oh and i'm am running Windows XP. I am going to just unplug the drive from the power and from the motherboard and just leave it in there for now. I couldnt' tell you the last time I used the drive, so i am not going to replace it. However, should I disable it in the devise manager?

PC eye

banned
When Windows detects the lack of a drive that will be unavailable anyways. There wouldn't be any need to unless you choose the uninstall option. The only problem with that would be if you suddenly needed the use of the drive later that part of Windows would have been removed. It won't hurt to simply disconnect the drive completely from power and the board. I simply disable the floppy search option in the bios and forget about the one here unless I need to use it for something.