Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

Jet

VIP Member
just wanted to let you guys know that we're back in the 50k+ category! Lets keep it up!

Those of you with i7s or the 2600k can really help out if you're willing to have a mild overclock and run the "bigadv" units 24/7--generally i7s run best at 3.5Ghz and up, the 2600k as well. Every person that helps out with those processors can add 20-50k points per day to the team!

GPUs are also a huge help--even my fairly old Nvidia GTS250 gets 6000ppd.

(Let's get this folding competition going!)

Ryan_Fpv

Those of you with i7s or the 2600k can really help out if you're willing to have a mild overclock and run the "bigadv" units 24/7--generally i7s run best at 3.5Ghz and up, the 2600k as well.

I've noticed CPU cores run 3-5 times faster @ 3.66GHz than they do @ 2.8GHz.
6,000 PPD? Seriously? I only get a max of 3000 PPD on my 4890. According to GPU Review, my card produces almost 3 times as many flops (which if I'm correct what is important for F@H). Got any tips for me? All I keep getting is the 511 point WU which take ~4 hours to complete.

wolfeking

banned
Wow. I looked this over, and tried to start, But I am lost within the Terminal instructions for linux_64. Is there a way to use Ubuntu Tweak or Software center to Run this?

I'd love to start helping out with this, as I leave my computers on all the time anyway, so why not let them help humanity while they are doing nothing.

Jet

VIP Member
I've noticed CPU cores run 3-5 times faster @ 3.66GHz than they do @ 2.8GHz.
6,000 PPD? Seriously? I only get a max of 3000 PPD on my 4890. According to GPU Review, my card produces almost 3 times as many flops (which if I'm correct what is important for F@H). Got any tips for me? All I keep getting is the 511 point WU which take ~4 hours to complete.

As far as the increase in PPD with CPUs, the multi-core (SMP) client runs off of a bonus system--the faster you turn it in, the more of a bonus you get--so the points increase exponentially to some extent.

Regarding GPUs, in general ATI cards haven't been as optimized for folding as Nvidia...that will change with the next generation cards, but unfortunately, that's how it is :(.

Wow. I looked this over, and tried to start, But I am lost within the Terminal instructions for linux_64. Is there a way to use Ubuntu Tweak or Software center to Run this?

I'd love to start helping out with this, as I leave my computers on all the time anyway, so why not let them help humanity while they are doing nothing.

Ryan_Fpv

Regarding GPUs, in general ATI cards haven't been as optimized for folding as Nvidia...that will change with the next generation cards, but unfortunately, that's how it is :(.

Wow, I knew Nvidia cards folded more & got more points, but I didn't realise the difference was so great. Lame.

Aastii

VIP Member
Can anyone offer a guide (if it's possible)

I play so few games with Physx that I have decided that my second card would be better off being a dedicated folding card. So, what I need to know is how can I make it so my GTX260 is used ONLY for folding, and my 5770 for everything else?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Can anyone offer a guide (if it's possible)

I play so few games with Physx that I have decided that my second card would be better off being a dedicated folding card. So, what I need to know is how can I make it so my GTX260 is used ONLY for folding, and my 5770 for everything else?

You should be able to download the nVidia folding client and it'll fold with your 260.

Jet

VIP Member
Instructions:

1. Go to http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

2. For GPU clients, download the first link--it will say "GPU3" in it. For CPU clients, download the one listed at the very bottom of the list.

3. Create a folder wherever you wish (I usually put it in my documents folder), and put your downloaded client into it--one folder per client if you're running multiple clients. Remember that you use one client for your entire CPU--the program has been proven to work with up to 48 cores. The CPU client is used interchangeably with the "SMP Client" in this tutorial.

4. If you are running a CPU client (optional for GPUs), you must create a passkey to get full credit. Go to the following link:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

and fill it out. The "Donor name" is whatever you want the credit to be put under in the team listings (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=44358). Submit the form, and then find the email they sent you with your "passkey"

5. The first time you open the file you downloaded, it will come up with the following questions to configure it:

From the website said:
User Name [Anonymous]? (This is your "donor name" that you just created when you made a passkey)

Team Number [0]? (Enter Computer Forum's team number, 44358!!).

Passkey []? CPU Clients, this is what you just got in the email from step 4. GPU clients can skip or put your passkey in--either way

Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes) [no] Press enter to accept the default and skip.

Use proxy (yes/no) [no]? Press enter to accept the default and skip.

Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units
may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and
'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [normal]? Type "big" and press enter.

Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]? Type "yes" and press enter

Core Priority (idle/low) [idle]? Press enter to accept default and skip.

CPU usage requested (5-100) [100]? Press enter to accept default and skip.

Disable highly optimized assembly code (no/yes) [no]? Press enter to accept default and skip.

Pause if battery power is being used (useful for laptops) (no/yes) [no]? Press enter to accept default and skip unless you are running on a laptop.

Interval, in minutes, between checkpoints (3-30) [15]? Press enter to accept default and skip.

Memory, in MB, to indicate (1013 available) [1013]? Press enter to accept default and skip--there is never a need to change this. Just assign it to the maximum available--even when running multiple clients.

Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new advanced scientific cores and/or work units if available (no/yes) [no]? I usually put "yes" for this--it is optional.

Ignore any deadline information (mainly useful if system clock frequently has errors) (no/yes) [no]? Press enter to accept default and skip.

Machine ID (1-16) [1]? This is the Machine Number of the client. If you are running more than one client under the same operating system, you need to have a different Machine ID for each client on that machine. If you are installing a single client on multiple computers, you do not need to change this since this is only for installing multiple clients on the same computer.

Launch automatically, install as a service in this directory (yes/no) [no]? Press enter to accept default and skip. This generally just causes problems--if you are tired of the folding window always taking up space in the taskbar, read at the bottom of the instructions

Disable CPU affinity lock (no/yes) [no]? Press enter to accept default and skip.

Additional client parameters []? !!!IMPORTANT. If you're using the CPU/SMP client, put " -smp " here. If you are using multiple GPUs, put " -GPU0 " on the first, " -GPU1 " on the second, etc.

IP address to bind core to (for viewer) []? Press enter to accept default and skip.

Once you have completed this, the client will start running.

To exit the client, press CTRL-C

To start the client, double click the file you downloaded--for simplicity, you can create a shortcut and place it on the desktop and/or in your start up folder.

NOTE:
-For the CPU client, you will not receive the bonus points until you complete 10 units on time with 80% success rate. Once this is complete, your points will increase dramatically!
-If you have an overclocked i7, or any other processor with 8 or more threads/cores, and wish to try out the super large work units, finish the 10 CPU units, then configure the client and add the " -bigadv " flag. The units take 2-4 days to complete, and carry much more points than the standard units. However, you must be able to turn them in on time (ie, run your computer 24/7 folding).

------------------------------------------------

For monitoring/control:

-HFM.NET -- calculates your points per day (PPD), including any bonuses.
-TrayIt! -- a small application that puts anything in the taskbar into the system tray. Useful for minimizing the folding@home client window into the tray and getting it out of the way.
-Realtemp -- monitors your temperatures during folding--make sure that they do not get too high!

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
thanks very much guys and gals, will get my 5770 in there tomorrow once I've got my new board and keep this 260 perma folding :D

Jet

VIP Member
Buzz--I thought you were slowing down! :p I wanted to try to close that gap--now it doesn't look like that's gonna be happening any time soon. Congrats :).

Now, we just need to get everyone else involved. When are we starting the folding challenge?

Buzz1927

Digaredd
Buzz--I thought you were slowing down! :p I wanted to try to close that gap--now it doesn't look like that's gonna be happening any time soon. Congrats :).

Now, we just need to get everyone else involved. When are we starting the folding challenge?
Yeah, I had some problems with the wireless connection so completed units didn't send and I couldn't get any new units, I think it's ok now, but not totally sure what the problem was so fingers crossed! :)
Also got some new hardware which should get me a few more points ;)
Who's gonna run the new contest? I'm happy to do it if nobody else does, not sure I've got much to offer as a prize but I'll take a look.

Jet

VIP Member
Yeah, I had some problems with the wireless connection so completed units didn't send and I couldn't get any new units, I think it's ok now, but not totally sure what the problem was so fingers crossed! :)
Also got some new hardware which should get me a few more points ;)
Who's gonna run the new contest? I'm happy to do it if nobody else does, not sure I've got much to offer as a prize but I'll take a look.

What's that new hardware? :D

As far as the competition is concerned, I know I have some things I could scrounge up.

EDIT: I can set it up this time--I think I'm gonna make some modification to the rules.

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
Buzz...you have me curious. What did you add? It looks to me that 1. You overclocked your computer a crazy amount, or 2. you got a hex core processor.

I think it's the latter--getting that much for a bigadv is, I'd say, impossible without a hex-core. Getting sub 28 minute times is really hard on a quad core.

funkysnair

VIP Member
i have a i7 [email protected] and 2x gtx460's - i dont usually run my pc overnight but im in 2 minds to help you lot out...

i am having a few problems with my gtx 460 sli setup, i am trying to determain if its there overclock is killing my 700watt powersupply

Jet

VIP Member
i have a i7 [email protected] and 2x gtx460's - i dont usually run my pc overnight but im in 2 minds to help you lot out...

i am having a few problems with my gtx 460 sli setup, i am trying to determain if its there overclock is killing my 700watt powersupply

That would be pretty amazing!

The i7 running normal units should give you 15k+ PPD, and each 460 is roughly 10k. If you ran -bigadv, you'd have to be sure to run 24/7, but the i7 would be more in the 25-30k range.

Buzz1927

Digaredd
Buzz...you have me curious. What did you add? It looks to me that 1. You overclocked your computer a crazy amount, or 2. you got a hex core processor.

I think it's the latter--getting that much for a bigadv is, I'd say, impossible without a hex-core. Getting sub 28 minute times is really hard on a quad core.
2600k! :p I'm getting about 27 minutes or so with a 4.7 clock, just quickly set it up, I'm hoping to get a better overclock when I've got some time, looks like it'll need a huge voltage jump for anything over 4.8, but we'll see.

Jet

VIP Member
oh. Of course :p. Have you tried running it without your GPU to see what the times are? I'd assume that your PPD won't increase overall, but I'd just be curious :p. At least in my mind you should be able to get faster than that--more in the high 40s--with just your cpu.

lucasbytegenius

Aw man I think the power cycling throughout the state a week ago affected the house my f@H machines were in, and as I can't access them with TV atm I can only draw a conclusion from my f@h status page that my two Dells running Windows 7 rebooted on their own and are now running normally, and that my Compaq running OpenSUSE either didn't reboot or my pitiful blind attempt at a startup script failed miserably lol :eek:
Of course that data is from the last week days and for all I know I may not have any machines folding at all atm.
Will resume asap.

Buzz1927

Digaredd
oh. Of course :p. Have you tried running it without your GPU to see what the times are? I'd assume that your PPD won't increase overall, but I'd just be curious :p. At least in my mind you should be able to get faster than that--more in the high 40s--with just your cpu.
I'll try it out when I get the time, the gpu usually uses 2-3% cpu while folding, so I'd imagine I'd get some extra points (not as much as the gpu, tho!) I've been playing around with some bios versions, looks like I found a good one, I can get 50x multi with this one! :D Keep getting those stupid 2684 wu"s tho, gets about 30% ppd less, grrr!!! :mad: