forgot my admin password for mac osx 10.4

johnnydav

hi, people
I desperately need to format or reinstall my mac osx 10.4 back into my macbook pro, since I totally forgot my admin password and I must reset it, I have been trying to insert the mac osx install disc restarting and holding the c key but the only message that I get is that I need to reboot my computer by holding the power button for a few seconds. I have not been able to format my mac
please help me
thank you

brian

VIP Member
well i dont know much about macs but i thought you hit the alt key (well the 3rd one from the left bottom) on bootup... could be wrong but..

patrickv

tlarkin may help you on this but this is my suggestion, boot from your osx install disk.once the setup has started on the finder bar go to "utilities", you'll have an option to change your password, but hell i maybe wrong

tlarkin

VIP Member
You are getting kernel panics, have you ever trouble shot a mac before? What model of Mac is it?

You may need to do some resets in the firmware or perhaps remove a stick of RAM.

If you boot and hold down the opt key does it give you the options of booting from the installer disk?

tlarkin

VIP Member
opt key = option on keyboard right next to the command key (apple key) and is also the same as the ALT key on a PC.