Frames pers second question

OfekOz

In games, such as Flight simulator X, GTA IV and such, what affects the FPS-
The GPU or CPU?
What will get me more Frame rates,
Intel I5 2400+SAPPHIRE HD 6850 1GB
Or AMD Phenom 2 955 3.2Ghz+SAPPHIRE HD 6870 1GB?

Thanks.

wolfeking

banned
its a little more complicated than that. A lot of it depends on where the game does its physics work. If it is offloaded onto the CPU, then a weak CPU can hold you down. If the GPU is the physics engine, then it will not matter as much.

the recommendation though, doesnt change. The AMD/AMD will give you more FPS than the Intel/AMD

CrayonMuncher

its a little more complicated than that. A lot of it depends on where the game does its physics work. If it is offloaded onto the CPU, then a weak CPU can hold you down. If the GPU is the physics engine, then it will not matter as much.

the recommendation though, doesnt change. The AMD/AMD will give you more FPS than the Intel/AMD

+1 The AMD AMD will be the better choice. Most games will not full take advantage of a quad core cpu so the benefit over the i5 for gaming is not going to be noticed that much when playing. Even when the game relies heavily on the cpu the gpu still has to do alot of work and you would notice more of a frame drop due to lesser gpu rather than a lesser cpu, in this case anyhoo if it was like a i5 vs a pentium 3 then that would be a different story :)

spynoodle

I think that combo 1 would actually be faster. Yes, its GPU is slightly worse than the one in combo 2, but the i5 2400 is significantly faster than the Phenom II 955 and the 6850 is still a perfectly good GPU. The CPU and GPU both determine FPS, and combo 1 is a much more balanced combo.

www.cpubenchmark.net is a good place to look at comparisons between CPUs.

CrayonMuncher

The cpu may determine fps but a quad core phenom will in now way create bad frame rates in the sense that they are unplayable, a worse GPU might. Sandy bridge may have the faster over all fps but a cpu can maintain above 60 fps, which i believe the phenom can, i really dont see the point in getting a better cpu and worse gpu, the phenom wont struggle in a way that would make any game unplayable but the HD6870 might
Better the have the better GPU imo. We could also start the debate on weather they phenom whould be a good investment since bulldozer is around the corner. But that's a whole other can of beans. :)

spynoodle

The cpu may determine fps but a quad core phenom will in now way create bad frame rates in the sense that they are unplayable, a worse GPU might. Sandy bridge may have the faster over all fps but a cpu can maintain above 60 fps, which i believe the phenom can, i really dont see the point in getting a better cpu and worse gpu, the phenom wont struggle in a way that would make any game unplayable but the HD6870 might
Better the have the better GPU imo. We could also start the debate on weather they phenom whould be a good investment since bulldozer is around the corner. But that's a whole other can of beans. :)
Still, in the grand scheme of things, the 6850 is still an insanely good GPU. Basically, I'm looking at it in the sense that the 6850 is less worse than the 6870 than the Phenom II 955 is to the 2400. Therefore, I think that the i5 combo would prove to be faster than the Phenom combo.

NDSUTopGun

Flight Simulator X has a natural target FPS of 20 fps, I think... that's outrageously low, but I can crank it up to 50 or 60 easily on the maxed out graphics setting. Check my specs below for my system setup.

and FSX has a lot of graphics settings that you can tweak in order to get your best picture and best performance, so you can always fine tune the settings to your liking.

spynoodle

I was just doing a bit more research, and I'm starting to think that it depends on what you want from your computer. It seems that the AMD setup would give you slightly better FPS, mainly from the better GPU. It depends what resolution you're going to be running at, though. If you're running at anything higher than 1280*1024-ish, then the AMD setup probably would be better for you. I guess I was overestimating how much the CPU is used in gaming, and underestimating how much the GPU is used. :eek: