Frankinstein cooling, odd but affective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motoxrdude

Hey guys, in my computer i wanted a cool, cheap, and effective way to cool my computer:
One day my sis was taking a bath, it was a fairly cold day, after she was done i walked in the bathroom and noticed that there was no steam and the mirrors wherent clowded. Then i realized that i just installed an exhaust fan onto onto the ceiling. Then it hit me, a bathroom exhaust fan moves about 130 cfm, enough to keep steam from building up in a bathroom. So i went out, bought another exhaust fan. I went into the computer room plugged in the fan and put the intake tube around my heat sink(http://www.a1-electronics.net/Heatsinks/2004/3rd/EverCool_IceMan_Dec.shtml)

Then i turned on the fan and my computer. The fan is about 50 decibals loud or so. I opened up speedfan and my cpu temps where 18(c) degrees under full load. Then i realized that my video card wasnt getting any circulation. So i went down the hard ware store and bout a y splitter for the intake tube, and i bought about 2 ft. of tubing. I installed the y splitter and the tubing around the empty side of the y splitter. Then i crammed the tube into a rectangle shape and put it in the PCI slot. Im guessing that tube that goes to the video card is sucking about 40cfm and the cpu tube is pulling about 90cfm or so.

Since i wanted a very silent computer i put the fan motor in the attic and put the outtake to run out of the roof. I ran a tube down the wall and it comes out or the wall about 1ft from the ground. I cut out the 120mm spot in the back of the computer so the tube can in the computer. My tempatures went off the scale! 18(c) CPU, hard drive 23(c), video card 35(c) and case tempature is 17(c). The tempatures vary by how hot it is inside my room. It also nice because it cools my room too! It only makes a small whoosh sound.

Last edited:

Curt

All that for a computer case? No thanks, I will stick to the conventional methods that don't require alterations to my homestead. But interesting nonetheless.
Pics would make an interesting addition to this post however.

Motoxrdude

Yea, sorry guys i would post pics but i dropped my camera the other day so i need to buy anohter one, when i get my next paycheck i will post pics

Motoxrdude

o yea heres my computer specs just in case you missed them:
160Gb hard drive
SOund blaster live 5.1
19Inch Acer Al1912

Motoxrdude

O sorry i forgot to clarify that. No, the tube for the cpu i kinda bent in a square shape and it fit perfectly over the heatsink, i used some duct tape for it to stay on:). Then the other tube/duct work, goes threw a pci slot about 1/2 inch, so yes that one is in the oped.

rharding91

I would love to see it to, I was reading it getting all excited to see a picture of your Frankenstein then realized its an old thread ha.

Vizy

I was going to say...wow...cause...like...you...sounded...very...young....and...i'm...so....hungry....

Status
Not open for further replies.