Free Operating Systems

What free operating systems are out there to try? I have so far Tried Debian, Ubuntu (cant be bothered to try any more of the Linux OS's Currently) and ReactOS... what others that don't take up too much space (vms on a 120gb hdd, each assigned a dynamic HDD space between 2 and 8gb) are there?

Troncoso

VIP Member
Um. Unix/Linux based OS's are pretty much the staple of open-source/free operating systems.

Chromium OS is the only other one that comes to mind, though technically, it is also linux based.

NyxCharon

Go browse sourceforge.

Otherwise almost all free OS'es are some variant of Unix:
Linux
Solaris
BSD
Android (especially the x86 one)
etc.

DMGrier

VIP Member
You could try ghost bsd, supposed to be one of the more user friendly versions of bsd and free.

Also if you are running a VM you could try Darwin which is a variant of OSX, I do want to make this clear it is not OSX but built similar and have heard OSX has borrowed some things from it.

Last edited:

ayan

Um. Unix/Linux based OS's are pretty much the staple of open-source/free operating systems.

Chromium OS is the only other one that comes to mind, though technically, it is also linux based.

Is chrome os free? I'm very curious what they managed to get out of it. Did you try it? how is it?

DMGrier

VIP Member
you cannot use chrome OS without buying a chromebook, however you can use Chromium OS.

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/lime.php

It is very buggy depending on the hardware you have, plus when I used it about two months ago the only issue I really had other then rebooting was flash. Chromium OS does not use adobe flash which is not to hard if you are decent with terminal you can get pepper installed with no problems.

Troncoso

VIP Member
you cannot use chrome OS without buying a chromebook, however you can use Chromium OS.

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/lime.php

It is very buggy depending on the hardware you have, plus when I used it about two months ago the only issue I really had other then rebooting was flash. Chromium OS does not use adobe flash which is not to hard if you are decent with terminal you can get pepper installed with no problems.

Right on the page you linked it said Flash was fully supported. Though that may just be for Lime.

Edit. No. It's just talking about ChromiumOS.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Right on the page you linked it said Flash was fully supported. Though that may just be for Lime.

Edit. No. It's just talking about ChromiumOS.

Trust me it has said flash support for a while but once google started pepper up it lost flash support after that. It is possible it did get added by now like I said I have not used it in about two months but when I was using it there was a thread completely dedicated to installing pepper on there cause no one had flash support once pepper came out.