FTP and Remote access newb help

compulsiveguile

I'm trying to setup an FTP site that I can access remotely (anywhere I can get internet connection). Can somebody walk me through this process? I'm not even 100% sure I can even do this with the equipment I have. I've been walked through this before (friend basically set it up for me, and I had Windows Server), but my setup's now a little different. Let me briefly explain where I'm at in this whole process.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.10 on my MacBook Pro. My laptop is connected to my belkin wireless router (Home PC is connected to router as well) which is connected to my roadrunner broadband cable modem.
I'm attempting to set up the FTP server on my Mac to be able to access remotely (anywhere through the internet as I said earlier). I've downloaded Pure FTPd and am using Pure FTPd manager. I have everything working in my own home network (can access ftp from PC), and now I want to be able to take the next step of remote access. This is obviously where things get hazy for me. If I recall... I have to somehow find my Mac's external (not sure if that's the right term) IP. I've done this through http://whatsmyipaddress.com/ and have a free DNS redirector for that IP (no-ip.com). However I feel that this isn't right. The IP leads to my router and not my FTP server on my Mac.

What is my next step? Can I even do what I want to do with the equipment I have? If I need to make any steps clearer, just let me know. Any help would be great. Thanks!

kobaj

VIP Member
Thats totally normal. Infact, it almost proves you have it set up correctly. From inside your network you will get your router. You can either have a friend test it from outside the network. Or try a proxy (not really recommended for ftp) to make sure its really working smoothly. Make sure you have all your ports (21udp) open like normal, or if your internet service provider blocks 21, use 2121. You will just have to configure your program to do that. I personally prefer to just use explorer, but each to their own.

Oh, and dont forget to have passwords and all the latest updates :).

compulsiveguile

Yeah, I figured that out eventually. Haha, dumb moment there? I forgot about adding the ftp:// at the beginning of it...

I tried loggin in from school today, and WALAH it all worked like a charm. Thanks for the help!