fx is using about 440MB of RAM, with only 4 tabs open, of which two are google!

i_hate_toms

Isn't this too much?
Will chrome fare better?
I have IE10, but i don't like the way it looks :(
Here's a screenshot of my memory consumption in firefox:

What do you think? Isn't this too much for only 4 tabs?? Do you think I should switch to chrome? Been a firefox fan since i began using the internet at home, don't feel like abandoning it after so so long :(

Thanks for your thoughts.. I've not used chrome at all (except for those occasional quick email check on some friend's laptop, i've never had it on mine) but increasingly m coming across reviews and user comments on tech websites that chrome beats firefox these days. Too bad. I love firefox. :(

Okedokey

Yes, it's using far to much RAM. Try restarting the computer and opening Firefox again.

Based on what?

Windows 7 manages RAM very differently to previous incarnations of Windows.

Sounds perfectly fine to me, as you have a butload of plugins and other stuff within the browser.

Run firefox only in safe mode and see if its the same.

PCunicorn

Based on experience. You really think I am basing this off Vista or XP? No. Windows 7. My mom uses Firefox with themes, plugin, etc. And it uses much less than this.

Troncoso

VIP Member
The more important question here is: does it matter? Are you noticing performance decreases? Is Firefox running slow? Are other programs running slow while Firefox is open? Why would you switch browsers if the only thing you notice is that it's taking a lot of memory?

Either way, that looks normal. Chrome can easily take up as much resources.

Okedokey

Based on experience. You really think I am basing this off Vista or XP? No. Windows 7. My mom uses Firefox with themes, plugin, etc. And it uses much less than this.

You don't get it. Depending on the hardware configuration, the RAM used will be different, so your mum's situation is likely to be different.

But if the OP is worried or has performance problems, see here: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-uses-too-much-memory-ram

Also if you're using an old profile, later versions of Firefox can cause problems. Reset your profile.

Also make sure you have the latest version.

But really, Firefox? Whats wrong with Chrome or IE10.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
I've got 9 tabs open and FF is only using 400MB. The later versions do have some memory optimisations. I'm on 22.0 and not in a great hurry to upgrade.