G3258 OC temps.

Heku

Hey, i've got my (partly) new machine up and running, and since i have the G3258 i overclocked it.. with the gigabyte mobo came EasyTune and oc'd via that to 4ghz (light overclock), and been running Prime 95 for about 20mins (i should run it for 24h to see that it's stable...) and so far the temps has only got up to 65oC..
but my real question is at what temps does it get "dangerous" for the G3258?
i think i'm still safe with the 65oC on stock cooler.. might buy a 212 evo later on..

Heku

Now i got a weirder problem.. i've had my oc at 4ghz all day, and it was working fine.. until (when i went to make food) my computer went to sleep mode, when i started it back up it froze on the main screen (directly after logging in). Then i tried to restart the computer, but it froze again, and the loop went on, had to load "optimized" settings from bios (aka. back to normal 3.2ghz), and now it's working again.. i'm not gonna overclock it for a while if i can't find a solution for it (it was stable while the computer was on, been playing PlanetSide2 and ETS2 with the overclocks, but directly after it woke up from sleep mode, the freezeing loop started)..

Darren

Staff member
Yeah I don't like automatic overclocking features. Just do it yourself and see if you can get it stable.

Okedokey

Ok others have touched on it.

Set the overclock in the bios.
FIX the voltage
Turn off SpeedStep.
Ensure the RAM voltage is correct and fixed.

What happened here is your cpu went from hibernate mode to 4GHz and the voltage increase didn't happen fast enough. Ensure that it is constantly sitting at 4GHz (by turning off speedstep) and at a constant (fixed) voltage instead of auto.

Okedokey

Look under Advanced CPU settings for something called CPU EIST Function. This is SpeedStep. Disable it.

Voltage should be 1.5, but may differ depending on the exact RAM dims, look it up. If it is 1.5, bump it to 1.55V and fix that as an entry.

Heku

Look under Advanced CPU settings for something called CPU EIST Function. This is SpeedStep. Disable it.

Voltage should be 1.5, but may differ depending on the exact RAM dims, look it up. If it is 1.5, bump it to 1.55V and fix that as an entry.

Disabled SpeedStep, and got to 4.0GHz on 1.2V (might still fiddle around with the voltage to get lower temps).. it "only" reached 60oC ingame (tried with ETS2 and PlanetSide 2, both games for couple of hours, no crashes), but with P95 the cpu got to 70oC

couldn't bump up the voltage on my RAM :/ it was "grey" all the time, even though i tried all settings..

Okedokey

couldn't bump up the voltage on my RAM :/ it was "grey" all the time, even though i tried all settings..

Thats a tasty overclock. If its stable, you're happy correct?

You should be able to get 4.5GHz (multiplier 45) by upping the cpu voltage to 1.3 and the load line calibration to medium.

Also, with the RAM voltage, go to Advanced Voltage Settings and set it to 1.55.