Games Machine from a store or pre-built....

spock0149

Hey folks,

I started a thread some time ago (http://www.computerforum.com/146092-help-building-great-games-machine-500-a-2.html) and received some wonderful hints on the components I should select to build an awesome games machine.

I've been procrastinating and I think what's putting me off is that I'm dreading putting it together myself.

Can anyone suggest either:

1. A site where you specify the components and they build it and ship it to you at a decent price.

or

2. A machine I could buy straight from a store (I'm in the US) like Best Buy or something. Not any old machine, one thats perfect for custom gaming.

My budget is under $1000.

Thanks in advance!

Spock

Sedah

ya ever think about buildin it yourself? could save you 100$ or 2, i'll sum one a build for 1k or less for ya,

1. jus, do u prefer intel or amd?
2. ati or nvidia?

deveritt

I've been procrastinating and I think what's putting me off is that I'm dreading putting it together myself.

Spock

I felt the same way when I did my first build a bit more than a year ago. Turns out that putting it together is easy, it's everything afterwards that is more of a PITA. You should go ahead and try, it's really worth it in the end.

kookooshortman55

You could always try buying a cheap stock computer and upgrading it. It ends up being way cheaper if you get a good deal on the desktop. I got my desktop for $450 with a free monitor at a black friday sale 2 and a half years ago. The only things I swapped out was the PSU, which added $60. I also added my 8800GT ($120) and 2GB of RAM ($50). Ends up being a very cheap build, and of course, those prices are old.

spock0149

lol, thanks for the replies.

I really don't mind spending an extra $100 or so for the ease of just walking into a store and having it pre-built and taking it home tonight (!!!) switching it on and playing games immediately!!

I had a look on bestbuy and there looks like some good desktops for under $1000.

Can anyone recommend one from best buy (purely GAMES btw)!

Thanks!!

Spock

deveritt

I can't speak from experience, but CyberPower and iBuyPower look like good sites to build a computer and have them assemble/ship it for you.

oregon

You could always try buying a cheap stock computer and upgrading it. It ends up being way cheaper if you get a good deal on the desktop. I got my desktop for $450 with a free monitor at a black friday sale 2 and a half years ago. The only things I swapped out was the PSU, which added $60. I also added my 8800GT ($120) and 2GB of RAM ($50). Ends up being a very cheap build, and of course, those prices are old.

Yes, this is the best way to go if you want to get the best deals.

CardboardSword

How about going with a barebones system? Its a nice compromise from building entirely from scratch and you can still put whatever you see fit into it. I do however second ibuypower/cyberpower if you really don't wanna go the custom road. If you want anything seriously game capable, you'll usually wind up paying a lot more than 1-200 extra for it sadly. I did however just do up a half decent system on ibuypower and it came out reasonably priced (albeit without an OS or monitor) at something like $900. DDR3 Phenom II build. I'm sure you can tweak the options to whatever you want, I just wanted a ballpark for a decent computer.

spock0149

How about going with a barebones system? Its a nice compromise from building entirely from scratch and you can still put whatever you see fit into it. I do however second ibuypower/cyberpower if you really don't wanna go the custom road. If you want anything seriously game capable, you'll usually wind up paying a lot more than 1-200 extra for it sadly. I did however just do up a half decent system on ibuypower and it came out reasonably priced (albeit without an OS or monitor) at something like $900. DDR3 Phenom II build. I'm sure you can tweak the options to whatever you want, I just wanted a ballpark for a decent computer.

Hmmm, ok guys. Thanks again for the tips. I'm going to take a look on bestbuy and see what I could get for $600 and figure out what I might need to upgrade to an awesome games machine.

kookooshortman55

If you can I would go even cheaper. The only thing that you really want to look for is hard drive space (I would recommend 500GB) and a fast processor. Whether it's single core or dual core, look for a processor that has high clock speeds, anywhere between 2.4 and 3.0. RAM is a cheap and easy upgrade, and the only other 2 things to add are the video card and the power supply. You're most likely not going to be able to find a cheap build with a quality video card.