Geek Squad

Geoff

VIP Member
Ach, you know what I mean. Hyperthreading is a little better than FSB because you can change the "multiplier", but with FSB it is stuck at 4.

Both take "core speed" and "mulitiply" (really just how many lanes wide it is) it by a number.

wth are you talking about? lol

Hyper Threading makes a single core act like a dual-core, by taking the unused clock cycles and turning it into a logical core. It has nothing to do with multipliers and FSB.

Motoxrdude

[-0MEGA-];476251 said:
wth are you talking about? lol

Hyper Threading makes a single core act like a dual-core, by taking the unused clock cycles and turning it into a logical core. It has nothing to do with multipliers and FSB.

Hahah! Thank you! I thought i was the only one who notice that!

bumblebee_tuna

Well, at least the guy I was talking to knew about latency and actually said he prefered DDR400 (he also said DDR2 was cheaper to make and that the pins were smaller..... or something to the equivilent)

Let me take a shot at the question: FSB is how your CPU communicates with all the other components and Hyper-Transport is..... faster? because of multiple data pipelines?

So........ Was I right?

bumblebee_tuna

I had the funniest run in two days ago. I was riding my bike home from school and there was a guy who got out of his "geek" car.
Me: Hey
G: Hello, how are things going?
Me: Good, I was just wondering a few things about the geek squad.
G: Ok
Me: What are the requirements for being in the geek squad?
G: Well, you have to have your license and be 18.
Me: O, ok.
G: Why do you wonder?
Me: O, I was just thinking of getting a job in the "geek squad".
G: O ok, well you have to be good with computers to join and pass a "basic" skills test and possibly take a class.
Me: O, I dont think that is a problem, I am pretty smart with computers.
G: Really? Well then, what does CPU mean? (He seroiusly said this BTW!)
Me: Central Processing Unit. (I was kinda dumbfonded by this question).
G: O, that was just an "idiot test" question. (Again, he actually said this)
Me: Ok, can I ask you a question?
G: Sure, what do you need?
Me: What is the architecture of an AM2 X2 processor?
G:.....

G=Geek squad man btw.

I was almost in disbelief, well not really actually. Its pretty funny however.

.......What IS the architecture of an AM2 X2 processor anyway?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Hyper Threading makes a single core act like a dual-core, by taking the unused clock cycles and turning it into a logical core.
Not quite. The architecture state is duplicated so that you can run 2 threads at the same time with each one getting a turn. It's a complicated process (registers get renamed and other fun stuff) which is why you don't see huge improvements over a single threaded core.

But I think Ku-sama was right in saying he probably meant HyperTransport.
.......What IS the architecture of an AM2 X2 processor anyway?
It's the same K8 engine with a DDR2 memory controller.

bumblebee_tuna

Not quite. The architecture state is duplicated so that you can run 2 threads at the same time with each one getting a turn. It's a complicated process (registers get renamed and other fun stuff) which is why you don't see huge improvements over a single threaded core.

But I think Ku-sama was right in saying he probably meant HyperTransport.It's the same K8 engine with a DDR2 memory controller.

What's K8? Sorry.... Since I'm still interviewing for this job (1 interview down, 2 to go....) I feel that I should know this stuff.......

M0ddingMan1a

Is this what you looked like when they said you were hired?

fastfat.gif

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ok ok ok... someone get this guy outta here.

anyways, damn these are some funny stories u guys are retelling. ahahah wow... "geek" squad ppl these days.... cant imagine.

Archangel

VIP Member
It's the same K8 engine with a DDR2 memory controller.

call me stupid if you want to.. but, the S939 X2's dont use DDR2, I know they have the K8 architecture, since thats AMD's 64 bit series ( the T-bird's and the PX's were K7's iirc),. But,.. i dont know why you mentioned the DDr2 controller tbh. (I know Im missing the info here, i merely want to know it :), so im definately not saying youre wrong here ;) )

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
call me stupid if you want to.. but, the S939 X2's dont use DDR2, I know they have the K8 architecture, since thats AMD's 64 bit series ( the T-bird's and the PX's were K7's iirc),. But,.. i dont know why you mentioned the DDr2 controller tbh. (I know Im missing the info here, i merely want to know it , so im definately not saying youre wrong here )
What IS the architecture of an AM2 X2 processor anyway?
I wont call you stupid cause you're not, but I may call you a skimming skum bag :p

Archangel

VIP Member
.... Ok,.. i have not a clue what skimming means.. >.< (and yea.. now that you mention it.. i didnt see the AM2.. :( )
so the s939 X2's are normal K8 architecture?

Edit: floating?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I forget you're not a native speaker. In the context I used it it means you didn't read everything.

1. To move or pass swiftly and lightly over or near a surface; glide.
2. To give a quick and superficial reading, scrutiny, or consideration; glance: skimmed through the newspaper.

Archangel

VIP Member
hmmm... yea,.. i kinda read it fast and must have missed at (appearantly ) sorry for the stupid question tough =)

funny tough... when i bought my motherboard 2 weeks ago, i gave someone edvice about buying a pc when the employee was getting my motherboard from the stock.. I dont think he excpected me to know anything at all about pc's.. but i could explain him everything he wanted to know :)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
funny tough... when i bought my motherboard 2 weeks ago, i gave someone edvice about buying a pc when the employee was getting my motherboard from the stock.. I dont think he excpected me to know anything at all about pc's.. but i could explain him everything he wanted to know
Like I said, you're not stupid. Everyone asks a stupid question now and then. I also barely read most posts, the other day I made the exact suggestion as someone else and didn't realize it until the page loaded up after I posted
so the s939 X2's are normal K8 architecture?
Yes, there's just 2 of them on the die. Just like Pentium Ds are still netburst.