geforce 6800 problem

terminator

hi all, im new here and need some help with a nvidia geforce 6800. ill try and explain as best i can (not much of a computer wiz)

the problem is when i start a DVD type of game or a DVD movie it locks up and will turn into funny looking colors. and when i put in an old CD game the game will start with the sound but just a black screen. i have tried different drivers old drivers reinstalling the device and still nothing.

i'd love some help, thanks.:D

DCIScouts

VIP Member
It could be your CD/DVD drive too, do you have another one laying around or one that you can swap out to eliminate that as a possibility?

Your graphics card could also be dying all together, how old is it? Probably 4 or 5 years old?

terminator

i have an extra dvd drive but my computer doesn't have the right plugs. yeah its about 5 maby 6 years old. i tried that dxdiag and it said "no problems detected". i do agree about it just dying but is there anything else i can try? a friend told me that i should try reinstalling the computer should i try that? he said it could be a hardware issue.

linkin

VIP Member
definately sounds like a dead gpu, have you got another computer to test the card? or another card to use in the meantime?

terminator

no i dont have another computer or card.

it some times goes crazy, or you will see a greenish line go across the screen and a couple seconds l8r the monitor looses the signal.

hears the error that i some times get

the problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp

hears the error ***STOP: ox000000EA (ox861c4358, ox8659A300, 0xF7c62cb4, 0x00000001)

Last edited:

spynoodle

I don't have much experience with this kind of thing, but I hear that dust buildup can be a major problem. Definitely try to give it a good cleaning out. The Geforce 6 series is pretty old though, so it could just be going on you. What brand of card do you have? Is it just manufactured by Nvidia or is it manufactured by someone like Asus or EVGA?

spynoodle

There also seem to be a lot of google results on NV4_disp. One of them seems to relate to Geforce 6 series cards.

terminator

I don't have much experience with this kind of thing, but I hear that dust buildup can be a major problem. Definitely try to give it a good cleaning out. The Geforce 6 series is pretty old though, so it could just be going on you. What brand of card do you have? Is it just manufactured by Nvidia or is it manufactured by someone like Asus or EVGA?

yeah i gave it a good cleaning and that didn't work. and yeah im pretty sure it was manufactured by nvidia.

Archangel

VIP Member
have you opened the case, and checked if the pc is clean inside? It might jsut be the grafics card overheating due to the heatsink beeing clogged up with dust. :)
(the 6800's used to run fairly hot already. at least my old 6800gt did.

spynoodle

have you opened the case, and checked if the pc is clean inside? It might jsut be the grafics card overheating due to the heatsink beeing clogged up with dust. :)
(the 6800's used to run fairly hot already. at least my old 6800gt did.
They already tried cleaning it out. Anyways, I'm guessing, although it's not a happy answer, that his GPU is just fried. :(