Getting new computer to run

SSMUFF

Well as some of you know I tried building a new computer and the ASUS mb was DOA. So just got the new one in today and installed with the rest of my new gear. Now the computer posts and goes through its initial setup but I get the blue screen of death after that. The HD is the only used thing in this computer. It is a 200gb WD HD that had windows XP installed. I do not want to lose any info that is on that HD. How can I get windows to run properly without losing that info? The HD is an IDE connection set to master. The MB boot sequence is set to HD, DVD, Deactived. Thanks

SSMUFF

I don't have the old system since it went poof. Would I be better off adding that HD as a slave and buying a new SATA HD and reinstalling XP to that? If that is the case do I need to change my boot sequence to show the DVD has #1 or just leave it as is and put the XP disc in and let it run?

Old HD which wife will kill me if I lose data is a 200GB WD IDE
Backup HD is in a external enclosure and is a 250GB WD SATA

Add a 3rd clean HD to install windows? Can I retrieve the old stuff by making it a slave drive?

Last edited:

Dystopia

SSMUFF, if you get a second hard drive, install windows to that, you cn use the other drive as a secondary drive. Make sure that the drive with the fresh install of windows is the master, and is the first boot option. Then set the IDE drive (the old one) to slave, and use it as a secondary drive. I've done it like that, and it works fine.

SSMUFF

Great, so will the old HD have all my old info like pictures, music, videos? I will have to reinstall all my add on programs that I saved to my old hd?

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry that I am so lost.

Drenlin

You will have to reinstall your programs, yes. The new windows will be able to see the old one and transfer files, but the system files in the old one won't really be useful anymore.

My advice would be to, once you have windows on the new drive, navigate through the old one and grab all of the useful data, and then wipe it. That'll give you a clean drive to store extra stuff on, in addition to the SATA drive.

SSMUFF

Well install went great. Windows is fresh and clean. Problem is my old HD seems to be shit. Says 70 GB is used but can't find any picture or it says I can't access it. What do I do now?