GOING CRAZY! Remote Desktop cannot log on

echevin

Hi, I really hope someone can help :eek:

Here's the situation: I have an office with a few pc's running XP Pro going through a draytek router.

2 of the computers need to be accessed remotely via remote desktop.
I have set them both up doing the following:

- Allowed remote connections through 'My Computer'
- Set up a username and password which has full admin rights
- Opened the port 3389 in the router for both local ip addresses of the 2 computers in question

Here's the weird bit, one of the computers works fine. The other one, when I try to access it, i click 'Connect', the new screen pops up and i enter the username and password EXACTLY as it should be (no special characters, checked a zillion times) and I get the following error message:

'The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed in the correct case'

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this thing working? Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

ELC

Trizoy

VIP Member
Well since your using 2 different computers.. you need to tell it to use 2 different ports... You forwarded 1 port to 2 computers? Tell it to use one of 3389 cpu1 and then 3388 for the cpu2 and when you login type the ip like this 291.29.39.43:3388 and it will connect to the 2nd cpu...

basically your router is saying allrequestes coming in on 3389 go to this pc.. Well they all are.. unless you use another port. And make sure you change it for RDC aswell.

echevin

Hi Trizoy,

OK, well i went to the router setup and opened the start and end port for TCP as 3388

I then went to the PC at home and enetered the IP address xx.xxx.xx.x:3388 and the message I received was

"The client could not connect to the remote computer. blah blah...may not be enabled..yada yada..."

I have restarted the PC i am trying to connect to and re-logged in but no joy :confused: any idea what I've done wrong?

Thanks again.

ELC

Trizoy

VIP Member
Well 2 things you need to remember... The first, your computer #2 (3388) is still listening on port 3389, and not on 3388..

So do this to change it:

1. Start Registry Editor.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber
3. On the Edit menu, click Modify, and then click Decimal.
4. Type the new port number, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor.

Now if your trying to connect to you remote desktop computer from the outside you use your public ip with the :3388.... If you dont know your public ip.. go here. This ip might change... might not depends on what type of ISP and service you have... Respond if you need to know how to fix this from changing without you knowing...

Ok say your:
PUBLIC ip is 69.324.23.5
computer 1 LOCAL ip is 169.2.123.2
computer 2 LOCAL ip is 169.2.123.3

Connecting to RDC:
computer 1 from the outside the network use this: 69.324.23.5
computer 2 from the outside the network use this: 69.324.23.5:3388

Computer 1 From computer 2 type 169.2.123.2
Computer 2 From computer 1 type 169.2.123.3:3388

The easy way to remember it.. Anytime your connecting to your computer you need to tell it the port :3389 Hope that helps with the understanding of the netwrok junk...

PS: The "no joy" is a pilot term.. you fly?

echevin

Great - I'll try that in a bit and let you know.
Thans for being so clear!

p.s.
If you mean no Joy as in No contact of target, then yep, I fly! You?

Trizoy

VIP Member
echevin said:
p.s.
If you mean no Joy as in No contact of target, then yep, I fly! You?[/SIZE]

Yeah I do fly, Doesnt the avatar Give it away? Are you in the industry? Professional pilot or weekend Warrior? I work for Jeppesen.. im sure you know who they are.. Anyway good luck with the RDC.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
Right click my computer and click properties. The click on the "remote" tab and make sure both boxes are checked. Do this on both computers.