Going to tablet only, no cellphone plan... what do you think?

massahwahl

VIP Member
So in a effort to cut our bills im seriously considering ditching my cellphone and switching to a tablet only data plan. I rarely use minutes now anyway (last month I used 85 and 90% were to my wife) so I dont think i will miss the actual calling since I could just use google voice and skype for communicating anyway. Im curious if anyone else has ever thought about this or if it sounds like a viable option at all.

strollin

I guess it could work for you if you are always near a wifi source. It wouldn't work for me since I never seem to be near a decent wifi source so I rely heavily on the phone and it's 3G/4G data connection.

Yeah, but gv needs a real phone number to accept calls. Skype, you can pay money for minutes and get a phone number. But it would work, you mean only pay for data, on only a tablet?

tremmor

Ive seen many people goto cell only. Eliminate the phone service.
I have a 4G Android and on a family plan. Im not big on cell phones
but find them convenient. Flat tire, calling wife or emerency etc.
Pay $35.00 month and get it all. Internet, skype etc.
Not a bad price with internet etc. Access my computer at home.
Though screen is small but works until i get home.

massahwahl

VIP Member
It sounds like a good idea to me, the only thing im even remotely worried about is the need for a phone in an emergency but I feel like I would always be near an actual phone in that instance (emergencies happened before cell phones afterall) and we still have a home phone.

Im on AT&T and it looks like they have tablet data plans starting at $35/month for 3gigs and right now on my cell phone i have a 2gig plan and have yet to ever go over my data limit mostly because i am almost always near wifi which helps out a lot! My cellphone plan right now has me paying $140 for me and my wifes phones with data and this plan would at least bring us down to paying $70/month if she ditches her texting package.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Also I am talking about having ONLY a tablet with a data plan, completely ditching a cell phone and cell data plan.

tremmor

Sorry, carrying a tablet everyday does not sound reasonable.
I say no. Your choice. Do the best ya can.

I would go phone only, buy a tablet and tether the phone to the tablet when you want to. Can't you get a super cheap 100 min plan? Or get a prepaid phone and get a tablet with a data plan.

tremmor

You do understand im talking about ditching the phone service and just you and
wife carrying a cell. Not uncommon. I have both also. With AT&T and spend about
250 a month for internet, phone and tv. Not to mention the cell phone. I might drop the
phone service in the house and let it go.