good utilities??

roadkillbob

what is a good freeware utility for fixing pc problems for windows xp,or set of programs that can monitor for problems and repair..thanxs

b3rt_d4ni3l

what do you mean by pc problems? is it spyware? virus?

try these for spyware:
Spyware Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware SE
AVG Anti-spyware

for Firewall, i use COMODO

and lastly, AntiVirus program i used AVG 7.5

not sure what you need but i hope this will help with your question. :)

roadkillbob

i had viris and spyware issues and cleaned them out with the above programs, now the pc is running real slow and needed to know if any software still needs repair or corrupt files exist..

b3rt_d4ni3l

i forgot to give you one more thing that i used for cleaning up mess done by spyware... its its called CCleaner.

go to ccleaner.com and download the program...

the first time i used the program, it cleaned out about 2gb of rubbish...
my comp now boot up faster...

roadkillbob

I just finished running ccleaner and the tools that came with it, yes you where right almost 2 gig of crap gone and pc running much better, now ill just put some more ram in ( only 256mb) comp is just over 4 yrs old..thanx again

b3rt_d4ni3l

good to hear that its running better now... :D
also you might want to defragment your hard drive frequently
this reduce the fragmented files and hence your comp can get to files faster...

yeah, upgrading the RAM would improve the comp, but looking that its just over 4 yrs old......
but building a new one would be even better.. :D:D

roadkillbob

its a dell ,when its too old out to trash it goes...
im defraging now..it needed it...
its a good thing thats the famly pc and i have my own that no one but me gets to screw up...

b3rt_d4ni3l

yup, its always good to have your own PC. :)
when you decide to trash out your Dell PC, take out some of the parts that you might still need like HDD and any optical drive that you might need unless you are thinking of a complete upgrade (totally new build), this might save you some money on your upgrade...

everyone here can help you should you decide to go for a new build. :)

P.S. regarding the defrag, you might need to do it a couple of times considering that its been a while...

zaroba

even better would be to SAVE the old pc when you rebuild.
then if something goes wrong you wont be stuck without a pc while trying to fix the busted one(s)

roadkillbob

ok i was sorta kidding about out to the trash with the dell, i meant its not worth ripping a dell apart as from what ive been reading on the forum, is that dell cases are not user friendly to rebuild, and yes i would strip it clean and keep all usable parts, if i didnt need them i would share with others or swap..