GPU fan stops spinning on windows startup

PatPheFox

Hello. Im currently running two evga 970s on a ASUS z97-a/usb 3.1. Windows 8.1
I was fidling with MSI Afterburner and its custom fan profiles and when I was done I set it back to not regulate my fan speeds. It seems to have done something insane, because now my fans do not even turn on until the gpu reaches 60 degrees C and are only at 20-30% at that temp. They seem to slowly rise but its on some unsustainable temp to fan speed graph. This is the same for both of the graphics cards. The one on the top is slightly hotter (2 degrees). I assume that's heat from the other card.

The cards do not experience this issue when windows is not booted. The fans turn off once the log in screen loads, which leads me to believe its not the cards' bios. They also experience this issue in safe mode. Currently, I have gone back to the Afterburner profiles I had set and this is keeping my cards from setting on fire, but I am really confused.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the NVIDIA drivers, using driver sweeper. Ive done the same with an uninstaller with Afterburner.

I would appreciate any help, as I am out of ideas and have not been able to find anything helpful on the internet.

tylerjrb

Which exact model 970 is it? as i know that many have 0 fan technology build in and they will not spin until 60c to save fan life and power. you can set a more agressive fan curve in afterburner in the settings tab.

In SLI the top card will always be hotter due to the bottom cards heat rising, if it is non-reference. As they blow air into the case not out the back like a reference card does.

Last edited:

tylerjrb

Yeah the fans stop at 60c on the custom fan profile. It should have dual bios if it is the ACX SSC 2.0 like yours.

PatPheFox

Yeah the fans stop at 60c on the custom fan profile. It should have dual bios if it is the ACX SSC 2.0 like yours.
I dont want to get into it really, but bestbuy sells a card that is packaged as a ACX SSC 2.0 while it is not really.

Are you saying its supposed to be off until 60? Because would that not then be how it ran regardless of the OS booted, since that would be the gcard bios that was governing that? I really do not think the card EVER turned the fans off until all of this happened. It currently allows itself to heat to the high 80s and only turns the fans to about 40 percent. It is on a trajectory to overheat, which they never did in the past.

PatPheFox

You are right, its supposed to turn on at 60. It does still allow it to overheat tho. I am just going to use Afterburner custom fan profiles for now. they seem to be working.

tylerjrb

use a custom profile and set it so that they hit 100% at 75-80c, stock profile makes them hit 100% at 90 odd degrees. aftermarket coolers will always be hotter in SLI so best to keep the fans quite high so they dont get too hot.

The GPU's fans normally spin until it his the bios at which they slow down or shut off, I remember my old MSI cards doing the same.