Great Co op games

awildgoose

Alright, did a search, time to make a thread.

Cousin is coming down soon so that means a week of Pepsi Max, Monster Energy and only getting off the PC for sleeping, eating and going to the pisser.

What are some really good Co op games to play?
So far we have finished Rainbow Six Vegas 2 about 10 times, on hardest difficulty using the weakest pistols and no armour, so don't suggest that please.

We are looking for RPG type games, maybe Borderlands (finishing it in singleplayer was boring but 2 people might be fun) or at least Borderlands type, different classes and such, or at least having it so our characters can be different and support each other.
WASD movement games as well, we own together on Warcraft 3 and on Demigod and they are small as well.

I've done enough talking, now suggest games, preferably ones that are not too expensive (although I would spend heaps of money if it means an awesome game), go.:good:

EDIT: Oh yea, me and my cousin have a zombie fixation if that helps, but no L4D or anything 'cus we won't have too good of an internet connection.

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

myndziuss

You could play l4d on lan and it shouldnt lagg at all. :)
Cant come up with games now, if i get something ill edit this post. :D

Mattu

I always liked playing Unreal Tournament and UT2004 through LAN back in the day. You could also try the newer UT3, however, I've never played that version before.

Last edited:

awildgoose

You could play l4d on lan and it shouldnt lagg at all. :)
Cant come up with games now, if i get something ill edit this post. :D

no L4D or anything

I always liked playing Unreal Tournament and UT2004 through LAN back in the day. You could also try the newer UT3, however, I've never played that version before.

I have got UT3 and I am not sure if there is Co op, but the storyline is kinda linear.
We are looking at Borderlands because of the whole.... walk around and do anything kind of thing, we can do what we want and are not confined to just the main part.

Any more games that fit the description people?

Aastii

VIP Member
A few members of my cod clan got op flahpoint. Got some that doubled up to do it coop and all of them say it is great. I only played sp demo and didn't care for it, but playing together is apparently much better

Twist86

One of the GREATEST games you can ever play with 2 people is Median XL for Diablo 2 LOD. It is basically a brand new game with a ton of stuff to do. It is also impossibly hard later into the game. Start your TCP game and set players to /players 8 and enjoy a mindless amount of fun with a almost angering challenge. First 2 acts are easy but after that it just gets worse and worse :p

There is also zombies in the first act ^-^ Its a 10 year old game but one of the more enjoyable games I have played. However the only downside is with Diablo3 coming out next year they price went up a little on the "Battle Chest" (includes Diablo II and expansion Lord of Destruction)

*Edit*
Another choice that might peak you is Never Winter Nights its hardcore RPG with a deep story and a DnD attack setup and if I recall it has LAN as well. I am not sure about the newest one as I don't usually RPG with people.

*edit*
Here is a video of 2 friends playing the game :p
[YT]HEHHCwzI2Uk[/YT]

Also here is some of the "special" places you go once you got some great gear. My favorite being Cow Level.
[YT]4cAemvdUtOY[/YT]
[YT]iwck7qJRDho[/YT]

Sorry about the music...every tool on youtube thinks its cool to do ~_~

Last edited:

awildgoose

A few members of my cod clan got op flahpoint. Got some that doubled up to do it coop and all of them say it is great. I only played sp demo and didn't care for it, but playing together is apparently much better

A lot of my friends said the general gameplay is utter crap, and not wanting to take chances, but I will still look into it. I think it looks decent, so thanks I'll still check it out.

One of the GREATEST games you can ever play with 2 people is Median XL for Diablo 2 LOD. It is basically a brand new game with a ton of stuff to do. It is also impossibly hard later into the game. Start your TCP game and set players to /players 8 and enjoy a mindless amount of fun with a almost angering challenge. First 2 acts are easy but after that it just gets worse and worse :p

There is also zombies in the first act ^-^ Its a 10 year old game but one of the more enjoyable games I have played. However the only downside is with Diablo3 coming out next year they price went up a little on the "Battle Chest" (includes Diablo II and expansion Lord of Destruction)

*Edit*
Another choice that might peak you is Never Winter Nights its hardcore RPG with a deep story and a DnD attack setup and if I recall it has LAN as well. I am not sure about the newest one as I don't usually RPG with people.

*edit*
Here is a video of 2 friends playing the game :p
[YT]HEHHCwzI2Uk[/YT]

Also here is some of the "special" places you go once you got some great gear. My favorite being Cow Level.
[YT]4cAemvdUtOY[/YT]
[YT]iwck7qJRDho[/YT]

Sorry about the music...every tool on youtube thinks its cool to do ~_~

Thanks for the quite in-depth response.
We actually both have Diablo2, well my brother has it deep in his room somewhere and my cousin has it, tried installing it once, didn't work. Probably 'cus I forgot to do compatibility mode. Although I'm not sure if any of us have the expansions. Battle Chest $34.97 on sale:( It's for the greater good so I'll check my funds haha.

Never Winter Nights, haven't played them but some friends did and said it's not good, but I think it's because they can't play games that are hard haha.
But what's this DnD attack setup you are talking about?
I'm not too good with game specific mumbo jumbo even though I play a lot.

Twist86

Your very welcome.
Dungeon and Dragon rules....basically its a dice roll setup so actions sucess/failure etc are based off a dice roll. NWN is a true example of a RPG it requires reading and you will do lots of it to move forward. This is why many people do not like it as it can get tedious if your not use to the games. I loved the first one but I really didn't like the NWN2.

Far as Diablo 2 goes if you can both find your discs then you only need to buy LOD. I would buy it used as I never play vanilla Diablo 2 online anymore after this mod (way to easy)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...?ie=UTF8&qid=1293642148&sr=8-1&condition=used
Here is Median link
http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/

Far as compatibility I never had a problem on Vista or 7. However on Vista I think I had to run it under XP SP2 but for windows 7 its install and enjoy. The install btw for the median mod is very easy and shouldn't cause problems. However before you install it connect to bnet to get patched up, then install the mod as once you do it you wont connect to bnet anymore. There is also online Median servers but I never played on them myself.

*edit*
Forgot to mention look on the median forums here http://modsbylaz.14.forumer.com/index.php there is some basic guides if you like to do some reading before you play. There is also a stat/skill respec tool if you hate your build.

There is also some guides in the Newbie section for PlugY (storage container) and D2Res which allows higher resolution (I don't go past 12xxby1024 as it gives a unfair advantage) which you can use if you patch to 1.12 not sure if they updated it yet to 1.13. You for sure want to get PlugY as you will get a insane amount of crap you need to keep. Crafting takes a whole new approach in Median and most of your best gear will be basic runewords at the start.

*edit*
So after all that talking now I wanna play it again :p To save you some problems here is everything I did to get the mod running without problems on my end.

Downloads
Median
http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/

Patches 1.10 to 1.12 (manual patching needed)
http://www.gamershell.com/download_3947.shtml
http://www.gamershell.com/download_10090.shtml
http://www.gamershell.com/download_27792.shtml

Plugy (download ZIPPED version)
http://diablorealm.net/index.php?showtopic=23159&mode=threaded

D2MultiRes
http://www.moddb.com/games/diablo-2/news/d2multires

Now after each process make 100% sure the game works (to narrow problems down)
1) Install the game make sure its set to your programs (x86) folder and manually patch 1 at a time up to 1.12a.
2) Install Median XL
3) unzip plugy into your Diablo 2 folder and click on PatchD2gfxDll.exe hit Yes.
4) unzip D2MultiRes into your diablo 2 folder.
5) Change ShortCut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\D2MultiResGame.exe" -direct
6) Load the game and when you enter it will look strange. Hit ESC and go to resolution to select your resolution. I wouldn't go to high up as it will give a unfair advantage to you that imo spoils the fun. I don't go past the 12xx resolution. It looks good on my 1680x1050 monitor without being too big.

The only bug is if your not playing in window mode it will crash when you leave the realm/game your in. This is a minor issue as I hate window mode.

Last edited:

awildgoose

Dnd, dungeon and dragons, right. I had heard the term before but I just couldn't place it. Since we only have a couple of nights, don't wanna be doing a whole lot of reading and thinking so maybe not nwn.
Hopefully I can find LOD somewhere close by, not too trusting of buying off of sites like that haha, steam I am ok with but you know what I mean.

I dunno what happened when I installed, I ran it and it crashed, dunno what was happening. Win7. Probs installed wrong or something. Maybe SLI, but hopefully if I install it again it works properly.
Defiantly gunna look at the mod, although I haven't properly played Diablo2 for years so dunno if I will pick it up fast enough.

Couple of questions.
My cousin lives out in the bush, so only 1 computer has internet and that is dial-up, will he be able to re-install it and such there if he has to?

Also, the unfair advantage at higher res? But it's just us two?
Also my screen is only 1280x1024 although I run most games in a window at 11**x876 or something, so I can talk on msn at the same time haha.

You must be really into this haha, I don't think I've ever seen a used car salesman try as hard as you haha.

Also, as I said in message thing, still haven't decided on the game yet, as it is only a couple of days and taking a chance on a couple of days a year I'm not too good with haha. Still thinking about Borderlands, but this one def has a shot.

Twist86

1)Yeah I have played with dial-up users before without problems. However Median is 300-400mb so you might want to burn it all on a disc for him.

2)Unfair as in mobs. To high of a resolution = mobs wont attack you at a distance. So in theory you could sit back and bomb them and they just walk around in a circle and die. Takes all the fun and challenge out of the mod.

3)Well its ironic as I do sell cars :p I am just playing it again and noticed your thread and I love the game/mod. Its one of the few games that I can replay for years and years. Most games today SUCK in this area and I play once and sell the game.

Choose any game you want I just spread the game out when I find those who enjoyed the original D2 :p
Even if you don't play it with your cousin I would suggest solo play when your bored.

awildgoose

1)Yeah I have played with dial-up users before without problems. However Median is 300-400mb so you might want to burn it all on a disc for him.

2)Unfair as in mobs. To high of a resolution = mobs wont attack you at a distance. So in theory you could sit back and bomb them and they just walk around in a circle and die. Takes all the fun and challenge out of the mod.

3)Well its ironic as I do sell cars :p I am just playing it again and noticed your thread and I love the game/mod. Its one of the few games that I can replay for years and years. Most games today SUCK in this area and I play once and sell the game.

Choose any game you want I just spread the game out when I find those who enjoyed the original D2 :p
Even if you don't play it with your cousin I would suggest solo play when your bored.

1) When I say they have dial up I mean 1 computer in the house and not his haha. I just know that some games require some sort of online checking, so for him that is not an option.

2) Ahh right, too easy of a game = not a fun game. Will defiantly not do the higher resolution thing then, might be getting a 1080p, although some older games don't look good at high res I have noticed.

3) I am very good with my references then:good:. I can tell you love it lol:p. It's good getting a sales pitch for a game haha. Beats "this game is good, so buy it".
It does look very very interesting. You are quite right that most games today suck in this area. I looked up co op games for pc and some/most just looked.... bad. Co op needs to have it so both characters are needed, to support each other. A lot of co-op games nowdays I can sit back and let my cousin do the work, and I can get the xp :D.

Well I defiantly did enjoy D2, even though I was 3-ish when it was released haha. Even if we don't do the co op, I will defiantly be playing this, so thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

awildgoose

We decided to go with Borderlands, but I would still like to know some good co op games that still fit the description but don't need a story, like bf2 sort of thing.

iGeekOFComedy

Lara Croft and the guardian of light is a great co op if you love playing 3rd person shooters but want to play with two people! Works great on LAN and internet