GTX280 video card dead, need to know what to replace with

Flak

About a week ago, my GTX280 died after less then 3 years of use. it served me well, but its dead as a dodo. Since I'm in the market for a new card I was hoping someone could give me a recommendation of a good video card for less then $400 that can run games like Crysis 2 or the Witcher 2 (doesn't have to be set on high or anything). I'm not looking for the BEST card, but I'm looking for a decent one of that price range.

Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated

mihir

VIP Member
What PSU do you have and also your other system specs should not bottleneck you GPU so can you post your CPU also.

What resolutions will you be gaming at??

if below 1920x1200 then the GTX 570 would be your best bet.

else if above 1920x1200 then the HD 6970 would be better suited for your needs.

Flak

My PSU is a ThermalTake 850W ToughPower

Also as for resolution, it more or less NEEDS to be 1680x1050

mihir

VIP Member
If he runs a GTX 280 I am sure he has a pretty decent PSU. Those things were pretty power hungry

The GTX 280 indeed is power Hungry.But everyone was looking for Quality of the PSU if I am not wrong.

My PSU is a ThermalTake 850W ToughPower

Also as for resolution, it more or less NEEDS to be 1680x1050

Thermaltake PSUs are ok,and as per my experience they are pathetic mine didn't even last for 2 years.
But anyways they are better than off branded PSUs.
850W is ample to run any card or even almost any multi-GPU config.

I would recommend an GTX 570 since you are gaming at 1680x1050.
Amazing card and beats the HD6970 at that resolution. :D

Or If you do not want to spend that much so HD6950 also won't dissapoint.

Flak

The only problem with the many recommendations about the 6950/6970 is that my motherboard runs in SLI with nForce on it, limiting my options to just nVidia stuff. Does anyone have any more recommendations of only nVidia cards? The GTX570 does look appealing, but retails here for $450