GTX460 vs. GTX470

vashonlax

I'm new to video cards, and i was looking for a good one to put into my project, i know to 470 is more exspensive, but is the price worth the performance compared to 460 both Superclocked btw.

EVGA GeForce GTX470 Superclocked 1280 MB DDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card 012-P3-1472-AR

vs.

EVGA GeForce GTX460 Superclocked 1024 MB DDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with Lifetime Warranty 01G-P3-1373-AR

or would there be any other video cards that peform better than both of these under $250?

CardboardSword

I wouldn't get a 470 personally. They perform well, but are huge power hogs and run stupid hot. Highly clocked 460s can actually perform comparably in some benchmarks. You should also take a look at a 6870. Depending on the clocks, 6870's and GTX 460's are basically neck in neck. Personally I'd rather a card that performs better at stock clocks, simply because there is always room for further improvements yourself if you follow me.

tech savvy

I wouldn't get a 470 personally. They perform well, but are huge power hogs and run stupid hot. Highly clocked 460s can actually perform comparably in some benchmarks. You should also take a look at a 6870. Depending on the clocks, 6870's and GTX 460's are basically neck in neck. Personally I'd rather a card that performs better at stock clocks, simply because there is always room for further improvements yourself if you follow me.

the gtx470 outperforms a gtx460 by a good margin.like you said it does run stupid hot and is power hungry at full load(idles around the same as 460).this should help you out- http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/180?vs=160 . also the gtx460 is more neck in neck with the 6850 than the 6870.

Last edited:

tossy

I personally feels you made the right choice though, but I don't like the 460 is because 768MB and 1GB video ram is just not enough, the GTX 470 is decent since it has 1.3GB almost.

linkin

VIP Member
I personally feels you made the right choice though, but I don't like the 460 is because 768MB and 1GB video ram is just not enough, the GTX 470 is decent since it has 1.3GB almost.

That depends on whether the game is a bloated console port or not. GTA IV for example.

The GTX 570 would have been a better choice as it is GF110, revised architecture, runs cooler, uses less power, etc.

CardboardSword

The GTX 570 is a fantastic card. Whole different pricing bracket though. Tech Savvy, I realize the 470 is a more powerful card, even by a significant margin, but I seem to recall seeing one or two benchmarks where the FTW 460 actually caught up to or surpassed the 470. Not saying that's something to expect from the card in real world usage, but probably worth noting.

kookooshortman55

I just got a GTX 460 SC for my build and I was also stuck between the 470 and the 460. I can tell you that I'm getting 30+ fps on Crysis with 4xAA and all settings at Very High at 1920x1080, despite what online benchmarks say. The only game that can't max due to memory limitations is GTA4, but that still runs very smooth. Other than that, I have yet to own a game that I can't max. I have the EVGA EE edition and the hottest it gets is 71C during Crysis.

SidEvil

I just added this Arctic Cooling VGA cooler to my 460, might be a little overkill but its silent. Idles @ 22c and never gets above 50c under full load. 30+ fps on GTA IV....with a E8400 @ 4.0Ghz tho :(

Attachments

• IMG_20101231_130446.jpg
    IMG_20101231_130446.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 404

Russ88765

If you want to save money, don't buy the superclocked versions just get the standard reference version. You can overclock them later yourself and save the extra cash. Under your price range, I would get a pair of evga gts 450's if you have an Intel motherboard; and i'd get a pair of xfx 5770's if you have an AMD motherboard.

CardboardSword

Personally I'd much rather get one good card over 2 low end cards. The 2 cheaper cards may outperform the single card in some cases, but a dual card set up is always more hassle, uses more power and generates more heat. Some games won't scale well with two cards either. Last but not least, if you get one good card, you can go for a XFire/SLI set-up with it later, where as with two weak cards you're stuck with outdated hardware that isn't as easy to sell because it wasn't so great in the first place. But again, thats just my take on it, you can get a pretty big boost from two cards that scale well.