Mobo- Asus P8H61 Le (B3)​
CPU- Quad Core i5 3.10GHz​
RAM- 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB) Corsair & Kingston​
PSU- Thermaltake 550watt (came with V8 case)​
Graphics Card- GeForce GTS450 1GB GDDR5​
HDD- 2TB Samsung, 500GB Samsung​
OS- Windows 8 Pro - Legal (upgraded from windows 7 pro - legal)​

My pain:
Ever since, my first PC (about a year and a half after I build it), it would randomly hang, but mostly just randomly hang/crash with a ear-pinching screech sound from the speakers. Then I would have to pull the power, and re-start. It would do it randomly, alot if I left my PC overnight to do a download / update, but would also do it on login - first time after being off for a number of hours, randomly during coding (websites and eclipse, nothing that could damage the PC), randomly while listening to music, or watching a movie. It would also not do it for a month or two, and then come back. And maybe go for a week or two, then do it 3 times in 20 min. When it hangs or crashes (NEVER a blue screen) the power lights from my keyboard (microsoft x4 sidewinder) and my mouse (microsoft x3 sidewinder) go out, I push them, and the light stays on for 2 seconds or so, and then goes off again.

I took it to different PC shops (Matrix warehouse, Incredible connection, etc) to have it looked at, they ran tests, and came up with nothing each time.\

I have tried upgrading, I first formatted my PC +- 6 times, then I started upgrading piece by piece, Hard drives, OS's (windows and Linux), RAM, MOBO & CPU, PSU, CD drives, cases, screens, you name it, I upgraded it.

But still to this day, after upgrading literally EVERYTHING it still hangs / crashes fairly regularly. I am stumped, and I cannot afford another 8.5k for a decent PC, as I need to do coding, recording for an album, and graphics design in photoshop.

I dont think that it is virus' as I have formatted to this day +- 20 times, and upgraded hard drives and used friends hdd's many times.

PLEASE if you have ANY advice on what to do, I am DESPERATE.

But I need to try start upgrading it again, is it worth upgrading piece by piece to the same PC that keeps hanging? or should I just build a new PC, as in not let the new components even TOUCH the old, as they could be cursed (haha, a joke).

Thank you in advance,
Josh

Quickpaw

does it happen on an absolutely clean install of windows? or does it happen after you reformat AND install all of your stuff?

Can you open event viewer and look under custom views > administrative events to see if theres anything noteworthy there? Look for red errors or yellow warnings.

Have you ever seen a blue screen error or does it always just freeze in place?

Can you try doing a static discharge on the motherboard?
- unplug from power
- hold power button 10 seconds
- remove RAM (make sure to ground yourself)
- hold power button for 15-20 seconds
- reinstall RAM, plug in and boot

ive seen these steps solve a myriad of funky problems, so its worth a shot.