Hard Drive Compatibility

mikey4865

Hello,

I have a very old program on an old hard drive in an old computer. I am wondering if I would be able to take out the hard drive and plug it into my current computer.

The old hard drive is:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=5T010H1&cat=HDD

And my new computer runs:
Win 7 64 bit
8gb ddr2 memory
Intel core 2 duo e8400 CPU
Socket 775 LGA
ASUS P5QL/EPU Motherboard
Radeon HD 4350 video card

StrangleHold

Staff member
No need for a SATA to IDE adaptor. The board has a IDE port at the bottom below the SATA ports (red). But anyway chances are the old drive will not boot on the newer computer, driver conflicts.

mikey4865

Well it turns out that I have another computer that had the same type of hard drive, so I switched them out. My current problem is that the resolution on the monitor is not correct and I cannot change it. I am not sure what the reason for this is. The monitor is about a 22" square (not widescreen) but I am stuck at 640 x 480 resolution. (the same resolution that I was stuck at in the old computer. It distorts the computer program that I need to run. Any ideas why this is happening? and how I can adjust the resolution?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Like said, the drivers on the computers dont match. If it boots you need to uninstall all the old drivers. Then install the drivers for the hardware in the computer you put it in.

mikey4865

Is it likely that i will be able to install all the drivers (from a 5 year old computer) onto a 10gb hard drive with windows 98?