Hard Drive Failed,,,,?

PatPheFox

well, my hard drive wasnt working and we established it was currupt. i was trying to get some files off and they were protected, so i went to plug it into a different comp to use Knoppix and now it says it failed everytime i try to boot it, and it wont mount in Knoppix, but it does show up. im confused with this . :(

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
well, my hard drive wasnt working and we established it was currupt. i was trying to get some files off and they were protected, so i went to plug it into a different comp to use Knoppix and now it says it failed everytime i try to boot it, and it wont mount in Knoppix, but it does show up. im confused with this . :(

Try another Linux - try a Slax LiveCD

2048Megabytes

Your hard drive may be toast and the files may be unrecoverable except thru professional help which is very expensive. I hope you had a backup of the important data on it.

I love having two hard drives in my system and an external hard drive. I am always copying important files from my master hard drive to my second hard drive. Every two weeks I make a backup to my external hard drive. Hard drives can fail at anytime and I value my data.

PatPheFox

Your hard drive may be toast and the files may be unrecoverable except thru professional help which is very expensive. I hope you had a backup of the important data on it.

I love having two hard drives in my system and an external hard drive. I am always copying important files from my master hard drive to my second hard drive. Every two weeks I make a backup to my external hard drive. Hard drives can fail at anytime and I value my data.

you think i can wipe it and still use it?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I have never heard of this. You can place a failing hard drive in a cold environment and possibly get the data off?

Yeah I've done it before. I had a laptop drive that had a lot of bad sectors on it, and it was overheating. Tossed it in the freezer while plugged into the adapter and I got the files off using SLAX LiveCD.

Dystopia

I was gonna sugest something similar. My brother tried it, but failed, probably because he didn't run the drive while in the freezer.