Hard drive failure

Russ88765

I have a bit of a problem. I have files on my computer i'd prefer to keep, but want to do a system restore to get the computer working again. How should I back them up? I bought a kingston flash drive but it doesn't show the icon for me to drag and drop files to. I also have an external hard drive which also does not show up. I spend an hour resetting and resetting to get it to boot, and when it does it freezes after a few minutes in the OS.

It's really a nightmare, just a guess but I think the hard drive failed. I have a crappy emachines that i'm trying to replace, would I be able to use any type of 3.5" form factor hard drive with my motherboard? Or are some of them too big to fit in cases? The case I have is definitely a smaller one, so I just wondered if I could use a 2tb seagate barracuda as a replacement. Do I need to replace mobo too, or for now can I just get that hd till I have cash for everything else?

jamesd1981

you can use your usb stick, if you cant drag n drop, just select the files you want then right click, then send to, and choose your usb stick.

Russ88765

It doesn't let me select it as an option. It says the other usual options though, briefcase/mail recipient/fax recipient/etc. Do I have to mess with mapping to find the drag n drop icon? If so, how do I get in to the map settings and what settings do I use?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does the flash drive show up in "my computer"? If not, look in disk management to see if it shows up there, it just may need a drive letter assigned to it. If it don't show up there then you have an issue somewhere.

ElenaP

As johnb35 said, you should go to Disk Management. Maybe you need to format the flash drive and/or assign a drive letter to it.