hard drive noise?

celina728

I have a new WD Cavair Black 750 gb hard drive and I'm wondering if it is normal to hear it when I'm surfing different areas of web pages.?
My old hd that I had I never heard it.
Thanks

ElenaP

It is normal to hear the drive activity when you are surfing the web, because the internet temporary files are being written all the time. On top of that different drives have differnt leveles of noise, and the noise depends on the chassis and mounting.

If you still suspect something is wrong with your drive, check the drive using the WD diagnostic tool.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How loud is the noise? Actually just surfing the web shouldn't make your hard drive make any noise. I have 2 WD caviar black 500 gb drives and they are quiet. However, I did have to rma 1 of the originals that came in because it was faulty, and I know others who have bought them also had failures. You might want to do a drive diagnostic on the drive. Todays hard drives should be really quiet compared to drives of years ago.

sdtlimited

Hmmm could just be that its vibrating on something, you can get rubber mounts for HDD that will help silence your hard drive.

celina728

Thanks all for your responce.
ElenaP and johnb35;
How do I do a drive diagnostic on the hd?
sdtlimited ; thanks, but it is not a vibrating kind of sound.
StrangleHold; yes, that is the kind of noise it is making, like a clicking noise.
Again thanks for your help

spynoodle

Thanks all for your responce.
ElenaP and johnb35;
How do I do a drive diagnostic on the hd?
sdtlimited ; thanks, but it is not a vibrating kind of sound.
StrangleHold; yes, that is the kind of noise it is making, like a clicking noise.
Again thanks for your help
Yeah, clicking usually isn't a good sign. I had an old Hitachi fail on a friend once with the evil click of death.

celina728

Thank you all.
johnb35 ; I did run the test and it showed all fine.

I also did a complete format of the hd and reinstalled WinXP and all the updated drivers for my mb, so far noise is no longer there. So I'll pray that the hd does not fail, but if it does I have an older one that I can always use.
Again Thanks All.

spynoodle

Thank you all.
johnb35 ; I did run the test and it showed all fine.

I also did a complete format of the hd and reinstalled WinXP and all the updated drivers for my mb, so far noise is no longer there. So I'll pray that the hd does not fail, but if it does I have an older one that I can always use.
Again Thanks All.
If the test said it was good then it's probably fine. Maybe it had a corruption problem on the initial install of XP or something. Hope all goes well!

shoppertrip

I think it's a matter of the quality of the hard drive...sometimes it may also be for the reason that your hard drive is running too fast, for instance, when you are downloading with BT.