Hard Drive Not Reconized

jjonsalt

Just the facts as simple as I can. New computer from Dell. Vista 64 bit. Two 640GB HDs in RAID 0. Had a computer shop install an additional 80GB HD to use solely as a scratch disc. Everything OK with HDs at this point. Due to several errors on my part I set the computer back to how (so they say) it was when delivered. The additional HD does not now show in "Computer". There is, however, in device manager a listing for "Other devices" with the sub entry "Unkown device" I have no idea if this is the HD not showing in "Computer". How do I get the additional HD reconized? thanks

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go back to device manager right click on unknown device and click on properties, click on details tab. Post back the 4 digit vendor id and 4 digit device id. We can get the driver for it by knowing this information. Also what model is your dell computer?

sync

Your hard drive does not require drivers. All you need to do is either format the drive or set it up in computer management.

So try this; Right click 'My computer' and select manage. The computer management window should appear. Now select disk management. You should now see the status of your current hard drives that are installed and working and you should also see the other drive that doesn't seem to be appearing in my computer. Find that drive in the list and right click it, then select format. After formatting the drive should be visible by my computer. If the drive is not in the list then there must be a loose connection between the hard drive and the motherboard or there is some other hardware fault.

jjonsalt

Go back to device manager right click on unknown device and click on properties, click on details tab. Post back the 4 digit vendor id and 4 digit device id. We can get the driver for it by knowing this information. Also what model is your dell computer?

I hope this is what you want,
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363&SUBSYS_2363197B&REV_03
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363&SUBSYS_2363197B
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363&CC_010400
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363&CC_0104

My computer is a Dell Studio XPS 635

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
According to dells website they don't have that model of system. But according to the vendor and device id's you need the driver for the jmicron controller. Go to Dells website and search for drivers using your service tag. I'm sure once you install the driver your hard drive will appear.

jjonsalt

This is the model I have.

I'm confessed, Why would I go to Dell for the driver when they did not install it? It was purchased from newegg.

jjonsalt

[Hard Disc Drive List]
Model Name Capacity Type/Statis
HDD0:ST380815AS 80GB Non-RAID

[RAID Disc Drive List]
no listing

Disk Information
Model:ST380815AS
Serial: 6QZ7GPMF
Firmware: 4.AAB
Capacity: 80GB

Channel: SATA Port 0
Transfer: UDMA Mode 6
Addressing : 48-bit 2BA
Support 3G: YES
RAID Config: Non-RAID:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
This is the model I have.

I'm confessed, Why would I go to Dell for the driver when they did not install it? It was purchased from newegg.

Yeah why would the hard drive manufacturer have the driver for the SATA controller that is on the Dell Motherboard?

If the drive is not showing up, then either you are missing a driver(which according to your device manager you are) or the drive is dead, or you just need to assign it a drive letter through disk management.

Last edited:

jjonsalt

The problem drive is now working. It would show in the BOIS and "Device Management" but not in "Computer". I had double clicked on a drive being called "Unknown" a couple of times without success and I had installed a mini CD given me when the 3rd HD was installed that said "RAID CARD" at the top half and "DRIVER" on the bottom half. I explored the CD and saw a lot of things but not something I would think was a driver. I again opened "Device Manager" and this time right clicked "Unknown". There was a sub-category that I followed to where I was instructed to install the driver. With the help I had received so far, I was able to ID the type of driver it was requesting. I installed the mini CD and darn if things doin't get active. Finally saying the device was installed. Now it shows in "Computer" and works fine. Thanks for the help and time you have given me. Without which I wouldn't had found my way.