Hard Drive Recovery

MrNah

Hello all,
Wifes friend from work just dropped off her computer because shes having some problems. There recently was 2 power surges at her house, the first one didn't cause any problems but the second one caused a boot error. Windows wouldn't get past the windows start up loading page and when I went in to windows repair I came up with a couple problems. Chkdsk froze at 47 percent (froze for 3 hours) Fixboot froze the first time but I re-tried and it worked the second. However, now it wont even get to the windows start up page it just says boot error, insert windows cd or ctrl/alt/delete to restart. Since that happened I decided to hook it up to my computer using a S-ATA to usb connection and heres what its doing. The hard drive is constintly restarting itself. Windows xp wouldn't detect it but windows vista will but says it needs to be formatted before opening. How can or can I get the information that was on the hard drive? Or should I just tell her its gone and try a format?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
At this point, you might be out of luck. Data recovery companies and/or platter swaps might be about the only option. If you haven't already tried accessing it in Linux, that may be a last resort. However, it sounds as if it's hardware related so it might be shot...

MrNah

about the 13th try on the windows xp, F drive came up, but nothing is on it. I guess its gone :( o well.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try downloading the hard drive makers disk diagnostic utility and run it, hopefully it will fix the issues. Everytime someone had a power surge or an abrupt loss of power and computer no longer boots, that is what I run and it usually fixes the issue.