Hard Drive Recovery

jhooga

Does anybody know of a freeware tool that i can use to recover files from a drive that was formatted over all the files i needed

gamblingman

VIP Member
Nice, thanks for letting us know! I would love to have some info about your recovery for future reference in helping others:

1. About how long did it take to run?
2. How did you reformat the HDD, did you use the windows reformat or a 3rd party program like KillDisk?
3. Did you get everything recovered or was it unable to recover some things?
4. If some things were unrecoverable, what items were they: specific files, hidden/protected files, large files/folders, small files/folders, system items, etc...?
5. How much were you trying to recover? (in MB or GB)
6. How old is it and how much do you use it?
7. What size is the hard drive? (in GB)
8. What brand/model of hard drive is it?

If I were you I would run CheckDisk on that hard drive to make sure there aren't any faults. Let us know if it finds and fixes any problems.
1. Open to My Computer and select the hard drive you recovered, right click on it and select "Properties".
2. Move to the "Tools" tab.
3. Click on the "Error-Checking/Check-Disk" operation button.
4. When the "Error-Checking/Check-Disk" box appears put a check-mark in both boxes.
5. Then click "Start" to run the program. Don't try to use the hard drive during the check-disk process.

jhooga

1) Took about 6.5 hours to run
2) just used windows format
3) Got every thing that I noticed it seemed like it was all there
4)
5) 165 GB
6) its roughly 3 years old used every once and awhile
7) 320 GB
8) Maxtor (external drive)

gamblingman

VIP Member
Do you know the specific model number or name?

And I appreciate for the feedback, it'll be useful for the notes!

TCS

id second that recuva is the best one available on the web by far, however something else to consider is GETBACKNTFS which also yields some very good results for me, recuva is amazing in its advanced mode but while it does increase scan times but it reforms the fill paths and trees so you can easliy find missing data +1 for recuva

id second that recuva is the best one available on the web by far, however something else to consider is GETBACKNTFS which also yields some very good results for me, recuva is amazing in its advanced mode but while it does increase scan times but it reforms the fill paths and trees so you can easliy find missing data +1 for recuva

+1 for the recova. I did a factory restore on my computer that got locked out by a virus. I lost some pictures. Johnb35 here told me about the Recova. I ran it and it took about 2 hours for a "deep search" it pulled up about 5000 images going back to when I got the laptop. I got all my pictures back:eek: