hard drive

ventureman

i have a sony vaio that was in a house fire its pretty beat up i tried to wipe the memory but its not working could i just buy a new hard drive or what should i do.

ventureman

it works it turns on when i got it i was using it and it froze and it messed up so i tried to wipe the hard drive but something messed up.

Technogab

Why don't you try booting off a live CD bootdisk such as Barts PE. The entire OS runs off the CD, or do a live linux CD. If the OS runs fine off the CD, then you will have a pretty good idea that it's the hard drive and worth replacing it.

Geoff

VIP Member
Why don't you try booting off a live CD bootdisk such as Barts PE. The entire OS runs off the CD, or do a live linux CD. If the OS runs fine off the CD, then you will have a pretty good idea that it's the hard drive and worth replacing it.

Thats a good idea, that way you can make sure everything else in your computer is working.

goosy22

i dont have an os disc so should i just buy a new hd and os.

hmm... i wouldn't go that far... i would download a small OS like pocket linux (google it) somehow, burn it to a CD and put it in you optical drive... boot it up and see if that works... then come back here...

goosy22

it downloads as a disc image (Ubuntu is an .iso file... i don't remember what Pocket Linux is...) and it must be burned onto a disc... and i don't mean just drag it onto a disc... like use nero and select the file to be burnt... does that make sense?