Hard time to open .pps file AUTOMATICALLY

clocert

Hi, I have a Window 7 laptop, I have Microsoft Office 2007 installed, But I can not open .pps file using Microsoft Office Power Point AUTOMATICALLY, However, if I open the Power Point program first myself and then put the file name into Power Point program then I can open it. Checked Control Panel, the .pps file type is set to be opened by Wordpad (which does not work of course), and also a list of few other choices can be set, but Power Point is not on the list. Question is how do I set Power Point to be the program to open .pps type files. Thanks.

lucasbytegenius

Right-click on the file, then hover over Open With, then click Choose Default Program.

Alternatively, you can right-click on the file, click Properties, and then where it says "This programs opens with WordPad" click Change.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Hi, I have a Window 7 laptop, I have Microsoft Office 2007 installed, But I can not open .pps file using Microsoft Office Power Point AUTOMATICALLY, However, if I open the Power Point program first myself and then put the file name into Power Point program then I can open it. Checked Control Panel, the .pps file type is set to be opened by Wordpad (which does not work of course), and also a list of few other choices can be set, but Power Point is not on the list. Question is how do I set Power Point to be the program to open .pps type files. Thanks.

Right click the .PSS and go to Open With> Powerpoint. If it's not there, browse to the Powerpoint .EXE and select it. Then tick the box that says to open it with powerpoint always.

clocert

Thanks for the quick response. Right-click the file, open... etc... Since the PowerPoint is not on the list, I browse the file powerpoint.exe, but says file not found (shows a list of files, about 20 of them, Microsoft Office is on there, but powerpoint is not. And I can not select any of them anyway, nothing happen when I click or double click those files). I did find a file (POWERPNT) by going to my C drive... and program file..., I can double click this file and open the PowerPoint program, so I know this is the one, but I do not know how to put this one on the list.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have the office 2007 install cd? If so just do a repair install of office and it should fix the file association issue.

You say you have windows 7 correct? Then do this.

Go into control panel and click on Default Programs icon. When the page loads click associate a file type or protocol with a program. Then wait for the list to populate, find .pps file extension, double click on it, find microsoft office powerpoint in the recommended list or under other programs. You may have click on the arrow to the right to show other programs.

clocert

The powerpoint program is not on the recommended list for PPS. Either go from the control panel or right click the file to change the default program, I can not find PowerPoint. And not under other programs either. Strange enough that I have another PC, also Window 7, installed the same disc. but that PC works fine. ( now, I do not have the disc anymore)

clocert

Yes, Not under OTHER programs either. I am thinking now to download the Powerpoint viewer instead..

Last edited:

clocert

Problem solved, Instead of using the list of program files generated by the BROWSE box below the Other programs (which only show files, not programs), I had to go to my C drive..program file.. Microsoft,.. then find the program POWERPNT, open it. then it put the Powerpoint on the Other program list..
Thank you for all the help.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Problem solved, Instead of using the list of program files generated by the BROWSE box below the Other programs (which only show files, not programs), I had to go to my C drive..program file.. Microsoft,.. then find the program POWERPNT, open it. then it put the Powerpoint on the Other program list..
Thank you for all the help.

That's what I told you to do :rolleyes:

clocert

I read your post again, you did said that, but I did not know I have to go from my C-drive to obtain the program. Don't know why if only click from the BROWSE box, it shows Microsoft Office file, but does not show Powerpoint program. Anyway, Thanks a lot.