Have I found a quality PSU?

zantaff

*SOLVED*
Thanks to EVERYONE that posted. Even if you don't agree with my decision, everyone's input really was beneficial!

In conclusion: Certain Rosewill series (the Stallion, Green) are very low quality and early on that was all Rosewill had.
Added to this fact is that Rosewill is Newegg in disguise. Being a budget brand hasn't helped their reputation either, so they dont have a great image among the tech community.

The newer units, like the HIVE are made by a good OEM and are of decent quality.
Therefore, the HIVE is a good, budget modular PSU, and is the one I purchased.

Obviously there are better PSUs out there. There are vast differences in quality and price of course and a higher end enthusiasts PSU can cost a few hundred dollars.
I'm looking for good quality at a more reasonable price and this is where the Hive series comes into play.

I've been looking at PSU's and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this PSU.
Is it good for the price or should I forget about it?

I believe it is a KenTek Ktps775m
http://bit.ly/WjW9si

I'm looking for a modular PSU in the sub $90 range with ≥650 watts.

I'm a college student & first time builder, so I'm not looking for anything fancy, just quality.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:

Mez

No, that's a low quality brand.

Try to find something along the lines of Antec, Seasonic, OCZ, Corsair, Enermax, Cooler Master, XFX, Thermaltake (certain PSUs), PC Power & Cooling, NZXT and FSP (OEM of many high quality PSUs).

Got ninja'd by Nevakonaza :(.

Last edited:

zantaff

No, that's a low quality brand.

Try to find something along the lines of Antec, Seasonic, OCZ, Corsair, Enermax, Cooler Master, XFX, Thermaltake (certain PSUs), PC Power & Cooling, NZXT and FSP (OEM of many high quality PSUs).

Got ninja'd by Nevakonaza :(.

As for 650w do I really need it?
I used the eXtreme calculator and got 650w min.

Here's what I'm planning.
I've already purchased my i5-3570K & ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
I am probably going to OC the i5 from 34000 to 44000. (Air cooled)
Use 4 sticks of RAM
SSD (boot)
2 ~ 7200rpm HDDs
2 ~ 120mm fans
2 ~ 80mm fans

Uncertain what GPU I'm going to get, but have been looking at <$200 cards:
Radeon HD 7850 2 GB
Radeon HD 7770
GeForce GTX 650 Ti
I also am looking for the possibly be able to SLI/Crossfire in the future.

As for what I do on my computer, it's mostly gaming, but I do need to use design software like Adobe, CAD & Revit products.

Appreciate it.

Mez

As for 650w do I really need it?
I used the eXtreme calculator and got 650w min.

Here's what I'm planning.
I've already purchased my i5-3570K & ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
I am probably going to OC the i5 from 34000 to 44000. (Air cooled)
Use 4 sticks of RAM
SSD (boot)
2 ~ 7200rpm HDDs
2 ~ 120mm fans
2 ~ 80mm fans

Uncertain what GPU I'm going to get, but have been looking at <$200 cards:
Radeon HD 7850 2 GB
Radeon HD 7770
GeForce GTX 650 Ti
I also am looking for the possibly be able to SLI/Crossfire in the future.

As for what I do on my computer, it's mostly gaming, but I do need to use design software like Adobe, CAD & Revit products.

Appreciate it.

650w would be a good wattage, but 500w is all you really need. My system only consumes about 250w (with a GTX 660 in there), hence the 450w power supply.

But if you are looking to crossfire in the future, i'd go for a 650w.

If you get anything below a 7850, CFX is stupid. Buy yeah, 650w for dual cards (at least) and 500w for one card, stick with Corsair, Seasonic, antecedent and ocz.

zantaff

Good deal or bad deal?
THIS

I'm kinda wary because of all the missing cables. Will getting them drive the price way up, or is it no worry?

wolfeking

banned
Note of reference. NEVER buy a used power supply though.

the Toughpower is an okay supply.

@ Byte. Try phrasing it a little better. Its not stupid, it's just not the smartest idea. And the list of good PSUs is a lot longer than 4 brands, and within the brands you listed there are bad PSUs.

zantaff

Thanks I'll check 'em out.

I forgot to add this one. What do you think?
XFX Core Edition PRO550W - $76 total
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

zantaff

Ok, I'm REEEEEEALY on the verge of buying the Rosewill Hive 650
Why? Because it's modular and I HATE all those damn cable in my box.
But I found 2 other really good deals out there. If you can convince me, I'll take one of the bundled PSU's instead.

Rosewill HIVE 650w - $66 total
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182132

COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750 - $66 total
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4F15-F0AA-F85A-CD43-BB41A3D343EE&AID=10440897

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 - $77 total
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

The TX is standing out of the 2 standard ones.

zantaff

The TX is a much better power supply. Don't get the Hive at all. It is a low quality supply, and by using it you put your entire system at risk.
Item=N82E16817341051[/url]

Thanks for the very thorough replies!

I'm now really torn between the TX and the Hive.
Why? because I've asked a similar question on another site, and many of them are recommending the Hive over the TX.

So many opinions, so confusing!

wolfeking

banned
The hive is not a quality supply in the least. Of the 2, go for the Corsair. The corsair is not the best though. There are better options.

zantaff

The hive is not a quality supply in the least. Of the 2, go for the Corsair. The corsair is not the best though. There are better options.

I'm not saying this to start an argument, because you've been VERY helpful this whole time....
However, on Newegg, the Hive has a 4/5 and there is THIS review, saying it is an excellent PSU.
(Link is to the Conclusion, but I guess you can read it all if you're up to it.)

Obviously there are better PSUs out there. There are vast differences in quality and price of course and a higher end enthusiasts PSU can cost a few hundred dollars. I'm looking for good quality at a more reasonable price and this is where the Hive series comes into play.

So, is the Hive actually BAD?

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
Yes, the Hive is actually bad. It has little ripple control, and low quality capacitors. Sure it will work, as long as you have clean power coming into it. But most power companies are not supplying clean power.

The corsair will do better in the long run. The main issue here is you want a modular PSU and you don't want to pay for a quality one. You won't get a cheap one that is any count.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well the Hive for a Roadkill power supply is really one of there better units. Its made by Highpower and is the same supply as the OCZ ZS 650 except the modular. Saying that Im not suggesting it. The Corsair is a better/higher quality supply.