Having trouble with my cable modem.

klimax

hello,
I have a cable modem with a dlink wireless router 802.11g 2.4ghz. recently my speed has slowed down, web pages are loading slower than usual. could this be because someone is using my wireless router for internet and downloads? Is there a way to find out who is using my Wireless router? or who is logged on to it? And maybe block it out. I don't think it's the modem but someone is using my router perhaps.
thanks for your help.

ckfordy

banned
hello,
I have a cable modem with a dlink wireless router 802.11g 2.4ghz. recently my speed has slowed down, web pages are loading slower than usual. could this be because someone is using my wireless router for internet and downloads? Is there a way to find out who is using my Wireless router? or who is logged on to it? And maybe block it out. I don't think it's the modem but someone is using my router perhaps.
thanks for your help.

You probably have alot of spyware on your computer. Download Adaware SE at the bottom of this page in this link. Then if you have antivirus do a scan and clean up any viruses you may have. If you dont have a antivirus chose one from this link and install it. http://www.computerforum.com/17717-basic-malware-prevention.html

heyman421

banned
if you go to the start menu>run>type "command">enter>ipconfig>enter

look for the line that says "MAC ADDRESS" and write down that number

do the same for all of the computers in your network.

now log onto your router, and in the wireless setup tab, there should be a page where you can type in the mac addresses of the computers in your network, and lock it, so only the computers with the MAC addresses that you entered will be able to log on

that being said, you probably just have a lot of spyware or fragemenation

i run a program called buzzsaw, which is a realtime, on the fly defragmenting program, which will automatically defragment your hard drive when your computer is idle, and will automatically defrag new files if they haven't been used for a set time (i believe it's 10 minutes)

still need to do a manual 2-3 pass defragmentation every month or two, but the buzzsaw program does a pretty darn good job for a background app, and keeps things running smoothly.

or you could just be OCD like me, and reformat, and reinstall everything on your computer when it starts bogging down

windows xp builds up so much crap, and gets so buggy over time, i loves me a fresh install every few months