HDD not showing up

littlemiss11

Put in a new HDD (500gig) Bios recognizes the full 500gig but on windows (using xp pro sp3.) it only comes up with its 127gig HDD.

It says (C:) 127.99gb
Healthy

then over the other side its got
337.77gb
unallocated

Can some one help fix this so its the full amount in use?

Thanks all:good:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thats becuase you running the original release of Windows XP which only recognized up to 127 gb of hard drve. You will have to update to either SP1, SP2, or SP3 to see the full amount of drive in one partition. Or you can partition the balance into 3 more drives.

ElenaP

Since we have BIOS detecting 500 GB OK, we can rule out a too old motherboard not detecting a large hard drive. In a similar way, this cannot be a jumper configuration issue or a HPA clipping issue, because the BIOS would not detect 500GB capacity in any of these cases.

Hence the only option is that BigLBA is disabled (which also seems unlikely).
You should verify that BigLBA is enabled as described here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Since we have BIOS detecting 500 GB OK, we can rule out a too old motherboard not detecting a large hard drive. In a similar way, this cannot be a jumper configuration issue or a HPA clipping issue, because the BIOS would not detect 500GB capacity in any of these cases.

Hence the only option is that BigLBA is disabled (which also seems unlikely).
You should verify that BigLBA is enabled as described here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

Well, I find it hard to believe that XP SP3 didn't enable 48bit LBA unless its a corrupt install or possible had the original version of XP and then upgraded directly to SP3 and had issues? Not sure whats going on here but I guess the first thing to do would be to see if 48bit LBA is enabled.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Probably installed using the old original disk, then updated to SP3.

I think you're right. If you get something like partition magic or gparted you can extend the partition to whatever size you'd like (be sure to back up your data first). You could also create a second partition with the remaining space. Or you can create an SP3 disk and reinstall but I think that's the least desirable method.