hdd ssd swap

clahman

hi. i have a 128gb ssd which would be good if i could get it in my laptop. lap top is a hp pavilion.
now i'm really not sure what the best way to go about this is, i already tried with a 64 gb ssd and clone software. said there was not enough room for the 140gb hdd which has about 20gb of used space.
i was thinking the problem may be in the pic.... as you can see drives d/: and f/:,,,are they partitioned on to the hdd,,,i'll be trying it out tomorrow anyway, but let me know if you know better, sort of.
Screenshot-07_09_201002_11_41.jpg

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need to shrink the C partition below 128 gb in order for it to be cloned to the 128gb ssd drive.

clahman

You need to shrink the C partition below 128 gb in order for it to be cloned to the 128gb ssd drive.

hi. well when i was doing this for my desktop i was able to get an 80gb hdd shrunk down to fit on the 64gb ssd. this was using the cloning software.
could it be that now i changed the ssd to 128gb, the cloning software can shrink the hdd to fit. or is there something i need to do to shrink it. thanks,,,

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into disk management and right click on the c parition and click on shrink volume to reduce it below 128gb.

inferno14

wont it compromise the hdd space? why wont the laptop except the hdd as it is? im sorry for asking stupid questions, im new at this.

clahman

well that was quite a lot of work in the end, what with updating sp2 and all. i think also in the end that i might have got away without shrinking thee volome, which i did by about 25gb . any way, ran some benchmarks before and after and it's not too impressive. hdtune maxs out at 108mb/s and nowhere near 200, which makes me think the laptop is bottlenecked somewhere. it is much more pleasant to use now though, it behaves like a computer should, and not something else. so thanks again,,,gordon.

clahman

wont it compromise the hdd space? why wont the laptop except the hdd as it is? im sorry for asking stupid questions, im new at this.

i think that transferring the 149 gb (20gb used) data to a 64gb ssd was toooo much for the system, possibly coupled by the fact that the laptop has a partition of sorts for recovery. only a guess. acronis true image was the name of the cloning software.