HEELLLLLLLP! :( deleted the wrong driver, now Windows 7 won't start.

Kieth8

:eek::eek:I accidently deleted a file called atipcie.sys in the driver folder on my ASUS laptop. Now whenever I boot into window 7 (64 bit) it gets halfway through the boot screen and then restarts, quickly flashing a blue screen. I've been searching for the atipcie.sys file on the internet in hopes of getting a copy and putting in back in the drivers folder, but can't find one. Luckily I am still able to boot into Ubuntu (I had the laptop set up for dual boot), but I really need to get Windows working. And I really can't wipe the hard drive and lose my stuff. What should I do? Could any of you guys upload this file for me?:confused:

EDIT AGAIN:Ok, I now have a new problem. Starting after I got the driver dilemma fixed, my computer now will not go into hibernate mode. I've tried it using the power button (which I have set to enter hibernate) and from the start menu, neither of them work. It starts going into the mode. The screen goes black (turns off), but then after about 10 seconds it loads up again at the welcome screen (where it says the users name and asks for the password again). This just started yesterday, and I would really like to get it fixed. I'm in the process of running a full virus and spyware scan with Norton (please don't talk about how bad it is, I like it, and it actually isn't slow at all proof), and a anti malwarebytes scan, but I don't think a virus is the problem. What do I do?

OLD EDIT: I fixed it. Apparently windows stores copies of all the necessary drivers in another folder for dumb people like me who start messing around with them. After an hour of looking through system folders (using Ubuntu) I finally found the driver, and pasted it back into the folder. Now Windows works. Also the closest restore point I had was half a year ago. But I'm fixing that now:D. Whew, that was a rather scary experience.

Last edited:

Kieth8

Try booting into safe mode and doing a system restore.

Safe mode won't start, it just goes into a reboot loop too.

However, I just fixed it. Apparently windows stores copies of all the necessary drivers in another folder for dumb people like me who start messing around with them. After an hour of looking through system folders (using Ubuntu) I finally found the driver, and pasted it back into the folder. Now Windows works. Also the closest restore point I had was half a year ago. But I'm fixing that now:D. Whew, that was a rather scary experience.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Safe mode won't start, it just goes into a reboot loop too.

However, I just fixed it. Apparently windows stores copies of all the necessary drivers in another folder for dumb people like me who start messing around with them. After an hour of looking through system folders (using Ubuntu) I finally found the driver, and pasted it back into the folder. Now Windows works. Also the closest restore point I had was half a year ago. But I'm fixing that now:D. Whew, that was a rather scary experience.

Did you learn your lesson? I don't see why you felt the need to go through the Windows folder and delete random stuff.

Kieth8

Did you learn your lesson? I don't see why you felt the need to go through the Windows folder and delete random stuff.

I just got the urge to...you know, spice up my Windows life.:p

(Yes, I did learn my lesson.....for this month(jk))

Actually this all originated because of a new flash drive which wouldn't stay recognized. I'll tell the story tomorrow, but I still need to fix that:confused:.

Kieth8

New Problems

Ok, I now have a new problem. Starting after I got the driver dilemma fixed, my computer now will not go into hibernate mode. I've tried it using the power button (which I have set to enter hibernate) and from the start menu, neither of them work. It starts going into the mode. The screen goes black (turns off), but then after about 10 seconds it loads up again at the welcome screen (where it says the users name and asks for the password again). This just started yesterday, and I would really like to get it fixed. I'm in the process of running a full virus and spyware scan with Norton (please don't talk about how bad it is, I like it, and it actually isn't slow at all proof), and a anti malwarebytes scan, but I don't think a virus is the problem. What do I do?