Help a newbie?

jtoy43

So I just got a free "Dell Precision T7400 Tower Workstation" from where I work, and I know it needs a hard drive because they kept that. I'm planning to mostly use it for watching movies (on a tv or a projector), editing video and music, and gaming.

Problem is, I know jack about computers other than how to put the parts together. I have no idea what's good, what I don't need, all that. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what all it has and what still works, but is there anyone out there who can help me get this beast up and running?

Thanks

Havoc

I have a Dell Precision 690 Workstation that I turned into a Desktop..So I might be able to help..

FuryRosewood

you need a 3.5 inch sata harddrive and if the machine has a COA on the top (the license key for windows, you could reuse the install of windows, just have to find the right media to install with, however might just be better off buying a new copy of Windows 7 or 8 and install Classic Shell)

Do you know how much Ram it has? I imagine 4, its a older workstation, we have a few at work but they are still decent machines. This would help picking the OS be it 32 or 64 bit.

Agent Smith

I would install Windows 7 and when you grab the drivers from Dell make sure you pick the Vista drivers as there is no Windows 7 drivers. I have a Vista laptop I installed Win 7 to and had to use the Vista drivers. A black edition or red edition Western Digital will do or get a SSD. The PSU may need to be upgraded to support a new graphics card.