HELP! Acer AL1716 monitor not responding

Davis Goertzen

Back in 2006, I got an AL1716 monitor (VGA input) which has been working nicely as a larger display for a laptop until just recently. The light is green and when it's plugged in, the laptop recognizes that there's an external display, but the display remains entirely black all the time. If I turn the monitor on and off, it looks like there's a little flicker between "powered-off black" and "powered-on black," but it doesn't even show the Acer logo when I power it on; I can't make it display anything whatsoever.

Any clues what could be the problem here? I tried it with a second laptop with no better results. Do these things burn out after so many hours of use or something? Thanks in advance.

Davis

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would say the monitor is shot. It has definately served its purpose though as its around 7 years old.

FuryRosewood

Sounds like the backlight died. Hold a flashlight to it and see if you can see a image on the display. If you are adventurous you could check ebay for a inverter and see if you can bring her back to life.

Davis Goertzen

Sounds like the backlight died. Hold a flashlight to it and see if you can see a image on the display. If you are adventurous you could check ebay for a inverter and see if you can bring her back to life.

I think you're right. I held my flashlight to the screen, and I could see the image there. I guess now it's a question of whether it's worth the price of trying to fix this one versus buying a new one. Thanks