Help: Building my computer.

SchottayB

Hi guys, new here :good:.

I haven't built a computer for over 10 years! And I have recently got back into the gaming world so I'm looking to build my own 'gaming computer' but looking at a budget of £350 for a decent setup if possible!

I have gatherd a list here, just wondering what you would change... and for what? Or if anything isn't going to go well etc...

CPU: AMD A10 5800K Black Edition 3.8GHZ - £94.18
Motherboard: AsRock FM2A75 PRO4 - £59.49
RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB - £34.98
Graphics Card: VTX3D 2GB Radeon HD - £30.39
DVD Drive: Sony AD-7280S SATA - £13.00
PSU: ???
Processor cooler: Scythe Shuriken Rev.B - £26.60
Gaming Case: CiT Vantage Type-R Gaming - £37.46
HDD: Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB - £58.87

That comes in at £354.97, from Amazon (maybe I'll be able to get parts cheaper else where but haven't looked yet).

What do you think, would you change anything? Am I on totaly the wrong path?

I'd like to be running games like Dirt Showdown for example, at a full 1,920x1,080 resolution, Ultra quality with a decent FPS (50/60fps possible?)

And using dual monitors.

Hope someone can help :good::rolleyes:

Cheers!

GT5fan123

Hi guys, new here :good:.

I haven't built a computer for over 10 years! And I have recently got back into the gaming world so I'm looking to build my own 'gaming computer' but looking at a budget of £350 for a decent setup if possible!

I have gatherd a list here, just wondering what you would change... and for what? Or if anything isn't going to go well etc...

CPU: AMD A10 5800K Black Edition 3.8GHZ - £94.18
Motherboard: AsRock FM2A75 PRO4 - £59.49
Graphics Card: VTX3D 2GB Radeon HD - £30.39
PSU: ???

That comes in at £354.97, from Amazon (maybe I'll be able to get parts cheaper else where but haven't looked yet).

What do you think, would you change anything? Am I on totaly the wrong path?

I'd like to be running games like Dirt Showdown for example, at a full 1,920x1,080 resolution, Ultra quality with a decent FPS (50/60fps possible?)

And using dual monitors.

Hope someone can help :good::rolleyes:

Cheers!

I would change the motherboard to Asus motherboard. PSU would be like Corsair 500W. I don't personally see more components to be changed.

SchottayB

Thanks for the reply mate.

Why would you use asus instead? And I notice the processor has built in graphics, but would do fine with the additional graphics card? Or would I be better off choosing a CPU without integrated graphics?

Thanks!

GT5fan123

It'll use junk components and can't do what manufacturer claim they can do. You can use additional graphics card without any problems

SchottayB

Oh right ok. Any chance you can link me to what you feel would suite best? Motherboard and CPU from amazon uk?

Then with all that I'd have a fully working tower? Am I better off using SSD for windows?

Cheers mate, appreciated :good:

GT5fan123

Oh right ok. Any chance you can link me to what you feel would suite best? Motherboard and CPU from amazon uk?

Then with all that I'd have a fully working tower? Am I better off using SSD for windows?

Cheers mate, appreciated :good:

I'll link them to you. The rest of your individual parts looks ok. I think you'd better use SSD only for OS and HDD only for games, music etc. This provides quicker starting and few other things that mkes your computer faster.

Motherboard: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0054U7HIO/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357597288&sr=1-2&pi=SL75 this good for you?
PSU: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005851O16/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357597671&sr=1-1&pi=SL75
Cpu: you accept this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003N1A5W6/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357597375&sr=1-7&pi=SL75

Last edited:

Quickpaw

If you consider yourself a power user, you will hate windows 8.

If you're more of a media junkie (watch a lot of movies/tv shows, listen to music a lot etc) you may like windows 8 a lot.

Gaming will be more or less the same across both OS's.

Personally, I would go with Windows 7.

SchottayB

Thanks for the links, ill check them out when I get back from work.

As for OS; I'd like what ever is best for gaming as that's the main thing I do on a computer. But I also do video editing and listen to a lot of music. So I was edging towards windows 8?

Thanks for the help guys, if you see any improvements to my parts list please say :)!

Cheers!

spirit

Staff member
I'm sorry but you're not going to be playing Dirt Showdown at 1080p with decent FPS on a 30 quid graphics card.

You want to put as much money into the graphics card as possible if this is primarily for gaming.

SchottayB

AMD Bulldozer FX-6100 Socket AM3+ 6 Core Processor - 3.30GHz, 3.90GHz Turbo £84.72
Or...
AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition £70.68

What one would be best? (Price just from Amazon, maybe found cheaper else where).

As for the GFX Card, I appriciate your input but could you reccomend one? I don't know to judge them from price or 1gb, 2gb, etc?

spirit

Staff member
Of either of those CPUs, I'd probably take the Phenom. I really don't like the original Bulldozer chips. A better option for you would be the FX-4300 or the FX-6300, much better performance than the Phenom and the FX-6100.

How much do you want to spend on the GPU? Are you still keen to max out Dirt 3 Showdown at 1080p?

SchottayB

I'll look into those CPU's.

DiRT was just an example game. I'd like to be playing semi-decent games at a good pace, recuding loading/poor fps etc.

DiRT, Far Cry, Creed, Fallout, WoW... some of the games I'm playing at the moment.

spirit

Staff member
If you're on a budget then the FX-4300 comes in at about £90 I think. Good value for money. For the same cost you could have an Intel Core i3 which would also be a good option.

Are you still looking to spend less than £400 on the whole thing? Might be hard to build one yourself for less than £400 unless you go with cheaper parts. It can be done, but you probably won't be maxxing out at games at 1080p.

SchottayB

I was looking at i3's, I've always used AMD myself and thought of them to be better?

This is what the cart looks like so far, still editing but you'll see a rough price guide. Maybe I'll be able to get parts cheaper else where. These are all based from Amazon prices.

CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-6100 Socket AM3+ 6 Core Processor - 3.30GHz, Turbo - £84.72
or
AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition CPU - £70.68
Or the ones you suggested?
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard (Socket AM3+, Up to 16GB DDR3 - £55.27
Graphics Card: ???
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-500CXV2UK Builder Series CX500V2 - £48.50

Give or take £345.36 /// £359.40 w/o GFX Card.

daisymtc

motherboard - personally would go for 970 chipset

Video card - depends on your budget. how much do you want to spend?

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Wouldn't bother with the cooler if you're not overclocking, just use the stock cooler.

Spend a tiny bit more and get a Zalman Z11 case, much better than the CIT thing.

Get the FX-4300 or the FX-6300.

Video card wise, go 7750 if you can afford it.