Help.....! Computer not working

Meng

Hi All

Just wondering i'm having problems with my dell computer.....

When i turn it on everything sounds right but the moniter doesn't load with the xp and etc......

it's looks like it's on standby but acctulay on.....

i took the computer graphics card out then but it on a different computer and it worked normally...

can anyone please help me

Thanks

Meng

MrJohnDough

check you monitor computer cable connection.

try booting in safe mode if connection is good.
when you start up computer click f8 key fevirishly

so does your monitor show motherboard logo and all that text
that usually is seen on start up?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
When everything "sounds" right, do you hear anything from your speakers, like when Windows boots? Any system beeps, any hard drive activity?

Oh...it worked with another GPU? Have you tried putting the original back in? It could just be a bad GPU. Also, was the other GPU the same interface?

Meng

Like the harddrive sounds right..

i can't see the bios coz the screen doesn't even turn on

it's just a blank black screen

and i have already checked the cables and connnections and it's all ok

thanks

Meng

MrJohnDough

if you don't see screen and bios
then it may be either memory or motherboard.

try puting your memory(from broken computer) to different
computer(make sure it's compatable, incompatable usually does not fit)
and run memtest86 from cd. if memory is fine

try pluging a different powersupply to your broken mobo. and if the same thing
happens then it's your mobo.

but it would really suck if it's the connction wire or monitor or video card and
you will replace mobo. so make sure video card and monitor are fine.

i dont know how to test processor. if processor is dead you stil should see the bios.
but processors die very rarely I never had any experience with that. and I dealt with about 20 computers in my life.

MrJohnDough

so actually it is
most probably motherboard
then less probably processor
and least likely memory(if it's really ****ed up).

they only way to test them is on another system.
maybe there is another way. I don't know.

marx91

pull the memory out of it, and then turn it on and you should hear a series of beeps... if you dont then theres a problem w/ the motherboard

Meng

pull the memory out of it, and then turn it on and you should hear a series of beeps... if you dont then theres a problem w/ the motherboard

Hi Thanks for the advice

I did the test you told me to and yes there was no beeps

could you please explain to me how can a motherboard not work?

i'm a noob at computer hardware so could you please explain it in simple form

thanks heaps

Meng

PabloTeK

Now and again PC's skip a beat and can break down at he drop of a hat, in the case with our old Mesh system the PSU went all funny and started supplying odd voltages which obviously toasted the motherboard & processor while the fans spun away happily still sounding like an old Junkers on take-off. When this happens the motherboard is irrecoverable as things like Transistors, Thyristors and capacitors have limits on what they can handle in terms of voltage, while Capacitors are quite rugged the first two are very low power components and break very easily, which can be disasterous. Don't expect much to be salvagable in terms of the CPU but the memory should've survived. Them sticks are durable.

element15

I suggest you to take out the small battery inside,take out the ram(all of it)take out the ethernet card,leave it a minute,then start the pc emty like that,i hope you hear some beeps man.if you do then putt all back in and see if you can see anything on your screen.