Help! Computer randomly reboots!

compulsiveguile

I'm posting this under this category because I assume this problem is caused from a hardware issue. I'm running Windows XP SP2 on my Sony VAIO (3.2 GHz Pentium 4, 1 gig RAM, 128mb ATI Radeon). Okay so here's the issue. My computer has started randomly restarting/rebooting. I've noticed it on three different occasions.

1. When I select switch user (not log off), I get to the login screen where different pictures are displayed next to user names. When I select any other user than the one that "Switch User" was selected from, *click* my computer reboots.

2. Whenever I attempt to view a corrupted/incomplete file, *click* my computer reboots. I've noticed this especially when I've either partially converted a video file or download a corrupted video file. It seems as though the computer starts to "think" and can't sort things out, so it overloads and shuts down.

3. When the computer is in sleep mode it will randomly reboot. Nobody touches anything, and the computer will restart.

I'm at a loss of what the problem could be. I have done various optimization tasks such as running virus/spyware scans (AVG and Ad-Aware) and other cleanup Apps (such as CCleaner and Advanced Windows Care). Is it a matter of the processor or some other component overheating? I have not had this problem before (this did not start after I added a new hardware component or anything of that sort). The only drastic change I made to the computer was reinstalling Windows XP (spring cleaning so-to-speak). This problem did not start immediately after the reinstallation either. I also cleaned off the processor and other hardware such as fans, etc. with dust-off. I assume that it isn't a memory problem seeing as I have one gb of RAM. I've even tried swapping around the sticks of RAM on the motherboard. Perhaps maybe an electrical issue such as MOBO battery needing replaced or some other power issue? This is quite frustrating. Please help!

Last edited:

ghost

Does sound like a hardware failure, I remember the P4`s get very hot with stock HSFs. As you said it could be the PSU on its way out. But also as a suspect is the HDD. Do you have a spec of the PSU... (make, model, what watt it is). Also the next time this happens boot into the BIOS and have a look in the hardware monitor section and see what the temps are.

If that dont help find out the make and model of your HDD, do a google search for the HDD manufacturers site then see if they have any diagnostic utilities you can download. (usually download them to floppy, boot it up and let it do its thing) that should tell you if the status of the HDD.

If that also dont help then Im guessing its a PSU problem and would probably need replacing.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I agree with the HDD. I doubt its the overheating if it happens in the same place every time. Do a full diagnostic scan... Scandisk, whatever. Also check your RAM. Take out one stick and see if the problem still persists, if so, get memtest86

compulsiveguile

I finally figured it out! Woohoo! Alright, after all that, it turned out to be a video card issue (driver was corrupt or something of the sort). After doing a bit of research (thank goodness for Google), I finally pieced different tips together from other forums. The crucial step for me was disabling automatic reboot. Once disabled, my computer went to the BSOD every time the error occurred. At first it said something about a system file (serial.sys), and the second time, I got an error with ati3duag.dll. I figured it was probably relating to my ATI video card, so to be sure, I booted in safe mode (boot holding f8). Sure enough, everything worked fine when switching users and such. I rebooted normal, uninstalled my ATI driver (used default windows driver), and everything worked fine. Once all this was established, I went to ATI's website and downloaded the new driver (One I had tried, and failed, to install before through window's update). Wah lah! Everything's working perfectly now. Thanks for all your help!