HELP! Display malfunction!

AIO

I recently purchased a used gateway all in one model: zx4970g
24 hours after purchase , the screen began to display random patterns of colorful lines:eek: followed by a solid black screen.:confused: i restarted it then the same thing except the lines/noise only flashed for about a second followed by an immediate black screen.:mad: i am wondering what possible caused the problem?:)

spirit

Staff member
Could be the graphics card or perhaps the little ribbon cable going between the motherboard and the screen is faulty (this is an all-in-one desktop, right?) or the screen itself is bad.

Troncoso

VIP Member
I feel a more logical test for overheating would be a temperature monitoring program...

Anyway. It sounds like someone sold you a faulty unit. The issue itself seems to be an electrical short, in my opinion.

AIO

i am almost certain its not over heating. i think its the ribbon that connects the motherboard to the display. how can i disassemble the all in one gateway zx4970g?

AIO

yea it is an all in one , i think your right about the faulty cable . how can i find out ? how do i take the unit apart?
gateway zx4970g

Troncoso

VIP Member
If the cable is bad, it's not going to be as simple as opening the casing and staring at the cable. It's soldered onto the display. Finding another cable would be extremely difficult outside of contacting Gateway directly. Then, you'd have to solder it back.

Considering you can't figure out how to take the casing apart yourself, I doubt you'd be able to handle the rest. Not to mention, I'm not sure how you plan to go about testing the cable in the first place once you get to it.

In any event, to get to the cable, you just take out all the screws that hold on the back plating/casing. Then you should be able to lift it off.

AIO

Black blank screen

now the computer is not even showing anything on the screen. plug it in start it up - nothing , just a black screen the only time the screen shows anything is if you press the " swith to HDMI mode" button on the side of the machine. what issues are related to a black/blank screen? please help:confused: