Help got scammed now having pc issue

saulat_99

I don't want to go into specifics but basically I was tricked online and blackmailed into signing up to a few less than reputable sites, I believe I've taken care of that as well as I can but now suddenly my icons on my desktop lost their pics and I can't open .txt any shortcuts, and programs. I can open my computer, network, recycle bin, and folders, the pictures were blank but opened and now their icon shows normal. I can't open mozilla from desktop but it opens from start button, I can't open anything in control panel either. I have xp. I had some pidgen program installed which I had just removed and I thought an active desktop message popped up but no clue what it said. My .doc icon is an older version. I may have a virus or something from those websites. Please help its turning into a really bad day.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest to download and run rkill.com or rkill.scr first since you can run any exe programs apparently. You may have to download these from a different computer and then transfer the files using a flash drive or burn the files to a cd and then run them on the infected computer.

rkill.com - http://download.bleepingcomputer.co...security/security-utilities/r/rkill/rkill.com

rkill.scr - http://download.bleepingcomputer.co...security/security-utilities/r/rkill/rkill.scr

Then immediately download and run malwarebytes and hijackthis.

lease download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com. If you are still having issues running rkill then try downloading these renamed versions of the same program.

EXPLORER.EXE
IEXPLORE.EXE
USERINIT.EXE
WINLOGON.EXE

But DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Vista and Windows 7 users must right click on the hijackthis icon and click on run as. If the run as option doesn't appear then press and hold the shift key while right clicking on the icon to get it to appear.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

When the hijackthis log appears in a notepad file, click on the edit menu, click select all, then click on the edit menu again and click on copy. Come back to your reply and right click on your mouse and click on paste.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

saulat_99

I just got home. I have them downloaded and will try. It is odd that my computer is running without slowing down or anything, its almost as if I just have a corrupt windows file. I've never had a virus like this before. I will try burning them or running them from the network as neither the exe, com, or scr are opening.

saulat_99

Scanned the root drive from my networked PC and with bootdefender no virus found. Scanning with malwarebytes found one virus trojan.fakealert and asked to reboot to remove. I selected yes and it restarted the PC I was on not the one I scanned lol oh well. I don't think that is the correct virus anyway. I am thinking something got corrupted when I uninstalled those programs. I may back things up and do a reformat if I can't repair the windows somehow. I will see if I can run rkiller from my other PC.

saulat_99

This helped me some.

http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php

I created a new .exe file type and associated it with applications. My .lnk files are still broken. The exe files are working now but not .com or certain other file types. I guess I will need to recreate many of the file extension associations. Not sure if .com is the same as .exe and no clue at all what to associate .lnk files with.

I ran roguekiller now that exe works and removed a registry key and told it to fix shortcuts, not sure it did anything.

saulat_99

Just got home from some long night shifts. Thank you very much! That is fixing my issue. I am curious what may have caused it, whether it is common or not. I still feel like backing up and reformatting after what seems like a major issue to me. Anyways, thanks again for the help. JohnB has helped me several times over the years and whoever you are it is much appreciated :good:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Getting infected will usually cause your file extensions to get screwed up. Not all infections will do this but its becoming more and more common.

And you are quite welcome.