Help! - I keep getting a BSOD!

arsie

Hi. I hope someone here can help me out.

I keep getting this blue screen of death. I don't know what is causing it and I don't know how to fix it. I happens randomly while surfing the web.

I just did a clean install of windows. The only thing installed is my firewall (outpost) and my antivirus (fprot).

I don't know what to do. :(

I am using Windows XP Pro on a 3Ghz P4 with 1GB ram.

Please, if anyone knows what this BSOD means or how to fix it, let me know.

I'd appreciate any help.

Here is a picture I took of the BSOD: (click to enlarge)

4W4K3

VIP Member
afd.sys is related to a network (NIC) card is it not? just looking for confirmation from another user who might know.

try moving your NIC card to another PCI slot. If it's built-in, try moving any other devices that are in your PCI devices.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
afd.sys has connections with winsock layers and such, so yes it is realted to networking and comms cards.

The error you recieved means that the driver for this object whether it be windows itself or a custom driver, has caused a clash in IRQ's, which is the individual address of the position of the hardware in the computer system.

Bascally the network card is conflicting with something else, if youve got a network card then switch it around in different PCI slot and see if the error still pccurs, if it is built in the its a bit harder, still shift around in PCI slots though.

arsie

my NIC is built into the motherboard.

Are you sure this can be the reason?

I mean, my computer has been fine for so long. This problem only started a few months ago and I have no clue why.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
take everything out, except the bare essentials. so leave in the hard drive andgraphics card. everything in the pic slots can be taken out. oh and if you really need a cd/dvd drive leave that in too. this will determine whats causing the crashes

arsie

Are you sure it is a hardware problem? Can it be anything else?

My PC has been working fine for a very long time. This problem is only happening within the recent last few months.

Nothing has ever changed (as far as hardware is concerned). It's still the same PC I built about a year ago :(

What's even more bizzare is that the BSOD is totally random. There is no way to tell when it will strike. I can go for a week without seeing it. Then there are days when I see it multiple times.... really wierd.

It only happens while trying to load a webpage. Doesn't matter what the website is either. I can refresh this topic in this forum and risk getting the BSOD.