Help me build a gaming computer on budget

allenee2009

I started building the computer based on Bodaggit23's suggestion.

I am currently using both Newegg.ca and Tigerdirect.ca which seem to have the best price among other Canadain sites.

I built two very similar set ups using both websites. I like to know if there is a way to reduce the price without lowering the performance too much. (Using a combo deal and such)

EDITED: I rebuilt the computer using AM3 setup
Here is the NEW setup
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...authkey=Gv1sRgCPPepd7Zs6rN6gE&feat=directlink

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

The Phenom II X4 940 will not work on that AM3 board, in the first build.

The things I would downgrade, generally, to reduce initial cost are the hard drive size, the case, and last, the graphics card.

Another option would be to go with a Dual Core CPU. You could always replace
it later with a Triple or Quad Core later. This could save a hundred dollars or more depending on the Dual Core chosen.

allenee2009

The things I would downgrade, generally, to reduce initial cost are the hard drive size, the case, and last, the graphics card.

Would you recommend graphic cards that will still allow me to play games like Crysis, Rainbow six lasvegas at the normal settings?

Bodaggit23

To save some money I'm assuming?

This would be a decent downgrade from the 4850, to save a few bucks.

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 4670 1GB ($80.99)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125277

Also, you could consider a Triple Core Phenom II such as this:

AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz ($117.99)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103648

Or a cheaper Quad like this one:
AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz ($159.99)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103650

Bodaggit23

So you're stuck on the Phenom II 940?

You'll have to change your RAM then, because as I stated before,
you can't put that CPU on an AM3 board, and AM3 boards run DDR3.

Do you want a Crossfire/SLI board or not necessary?

Ziel

Aside from Bodaggit's comments, I would think that you could probably get a cheaper psu that'll still function just fine. Also, I'd look to see what other case options you have. I know there's good-quality cases that are cheaper than that one.

Could also go to the 2.8 GHz Phenom II. $20-30 here and there will add up quickly. I don't think you're going to find just one thing to change that'll make a huge difference. It's all going to be about shaving a little here and there.

allenee2009

So you're stuck on the Phenom II 940?

You'll have to change your RAM then, because as I stated before,
you can't put that CPU on an AM3 board, and AM3 boards run DDR3.

Do you want a Crossfire/SLI board or not necessary?

I would like to stay with Phenom II 940 as much as possible.
Crossfire would be overkill for me, so it is not necessary.

I guess then I would need DDR2 for AM2+ boards then? If so, could you suggest DDR2 rams as well?

Thanks!

allenee2009

Aside from Bodaggit's comments, I would think that you could probably get a cheaper psu that'll still function just fine. Also, I'd look to see what other case options you have. I know there's good-quality cases that are cheaper than that one.

Do you have any recommendations for PSU and case?

Thanks in advance!

Ziel

Do you need the ATX full tower, or will a mid be sufficient? Everything should fit in a mid tower, just all depends on how many optical drives and hard drives you envision yourself ever needing. At least, that's the only real reason I see for ever needing full-tower over mid-tower.

As for the psu, no specific recs, really. You just need to make sure it's got enough power (but don't go too overboard with it either). And make sure that the amperage on the 12V rails is decent.

I just finished building my parents a new comp. Here's the setup:
ECS Black Series GF8200A AM2+/AM3 mobo
AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition (2.8 GHz)
4 gig OCZ DDR2 1066
320 GB WD hard drive
DVD RW drive
Asus PHC3-100 tuner/capture card
XFX Radeon HD 4850 512MB
3.5" memory card reader

For that, I got a 500W Apex power supply. $45 (US). Two 12V rails at 18 amps each. Put all that in a $35 (on sale) Cooler Master case. It works great. And the price came out to be under $830 (again, USD) including a 21.5" Asus monitor, Vista Home Premium, and shipping.